News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-2 replacement question for the Bach Man

Started by Trainman203, November 30, 2016, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I bought a Frisco one about three months ago, and since I run DCC I sent it right away to a tech for a Tsunami 2 install.  Just got it back and ran it for the first time.  It runs beautifully except for one really big flaw.  The main driver axle isn't quite in line with the others so that the engine balances pivoting on the main driver with the no. 1 and no. 2 drivers raised off the rail by a molecule.  This means that the engine picks switch points and derails, and climbs over the outside rail on 28" R curves which shouldn't be a problem  It also means really reduced pulling power since not all wheels are on the rail.

I want to get this engine replaced but I don't want to send the sound equipped tender back, it's not where the problem is. From everything I've heard, I'll never get it back.

How about it, Mr. Bach Man?  Can I send this Frisco locomotive back engine-only and get a replacement Frisco engine- only? Or at the least get this one fixed.  Surely there's an extra tender in the shop to run this one when it gets there.

the Bach-man

Dear 203,
Call the service department and explain your situation.
They will work things out with you.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jonathan

Trainman,

One thing I noticed about the new 2-8-2, the balance is off a bit.  I added an ounce of weight inside the smokebox, to bring the center of balance between the second and third drivers. I have had no derailment issues since adding the weight.

The loco is just a bit back-heavy.

Since the third driver contains the main gear, this may be why it seems to sit a bit off from the rest.  It could be that driver is just more rigid than the other three driver sets.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about your locomotive, since I can't look at it in person.  Just offering an option that worked for me.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Just had a conversation with Mike at the service department.  Going to get taken care of.