News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin modern 4-4-0 engine

Started by RayS, November 29, 2016, 08:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

How can I remove the steam  dome and other details and replace them with the back dated items furnished with a Bachmann Baldwin modern 4-4-0 engine? I got no help from the factory or any instructions included with the engines.   

Flare

Looking at the exploded view diagrams of the body for those locomotives, it appears that the domes are indeed separate pieces.

I've never tried to remove them, but perhaps getting a good grip with a pair of pliers and pulling real hard would do it?

WoundedBear

Quote from: Flare on November 29, 2016, 10:49:36 PM
I've never tried to remove them, but perhaps getting a good grip with a pair of pliers and pulling real hard would do it?

Again......more unsound advice. There are screws holding the domes in place. These need to be removed first.

The cab and boiler need to be removed. I have never taken one apart so I can't tell you how to go about this, but pulling hard with pliers is NOT the way.

Sid

WoundedBear

Like I said.....I haven't had a 4-4-0 apart but it looks similar in construction to the Spectrum 4-6-0. Here's a couple of shots of that model. Look for similar screws in about the same location on your model. Swing the boiler stays away and lift the cab/shell assy away from the rear first. Be carefull of any wiring. Go Slowly! There are also going to be a few detail parts that may or may not have to be removed. The steam domes will have screws from under the boiler and the stack will have a screw down inside of it.

There should be two screws under the cab and one between the steam cylinders.

Good Luck

Sid