News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connections

Started by jmmrlm, November 18, 2016, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmmrlm

I have some experience with HO EZ  Track, but no experience with Flextrack.
Does the flextrack come in different heights and if so which one would I use for HO and how would I adjust to match with the HO EZ Track ?
Any issues with heights of the two different  tracks ?
What are the connectors to use between sections of the flextrack and between the flextrack and the EZ Track ?
how do you connect Bachmann HO EZ Track to Bachmann Flextrack ?
How do you cut the Flextrack for different lengths ?
Anything else to be aware of ?

Thanks.

Flare

Yes, flextrack is available in different heights, I believe E-Z Track is code 100.

Not really, the most popular non-100 code is 83 (More prototypical) and trains will hop up and down the difference without issue.

You can use standard rail joiners in both cases.

Add a rail joiner on one side of the flextrack and slide it onto the E-Z track.

I like using a razor saw to cut track, the finer the better.

Yes, when you cut the flex track, cut away a tie or two as well so the joiners will have room to slide on.  You can place the removed ties underneath the joiners afterward.

jbrock27

This is MY favorite tool for cutting n/s or brass CODE 100 HO rails:

http://www.sra-solder.com/xuron-2175-maxi-shear-flush-cutters-4626?gclid=CjwKEAiA6rrBBRDsrLGM4uTPkWASJADnWZQ45Gq71-jBrsRoADN98E5G3vRQf4k84I0P2DC1wAQekhoCf6bw_wcB

To get flex track and EZ track to be the same height will require something to raise the height of the flex track, like cork roadbed or pine wood, etc.

Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

You will be better off if you use code 83/code 100 coversion rail joiners for a smooth transition.  Atlas makes them.  Walthers catalog part number 150-551. 

WoundedBear

Quote from: Flare on November 18, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
and trains will hop up and down the difference without issue.

This is not good advice.

Sid

Flare

Quote from: WoundedBear on November 28, 2016, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: Flare on November 18, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
and trains will hop up and down the difference without issue.

This is not good advice.

Sid

The conversion joiners are a much better idea, but I wasn't aware they existed.  Still, my trains never had a problem going from one code to the other back in the day.

James in FL

I agree with @WoundedBear, I don't think its good practice either.

Face it, the better your track work (i.e. level joints, smooth transitions both horizontal and vertical, gauge, etc.) the more trouble free your trains will run.
If you wish to keep that .017 difference, I would at very least form a 45° chamfer on the taller rail transition.
Burrs kill traction tires, so use the cutters that @jbrock27 suggests (excellent recommendation and I love them), and cut from top to bottom rather than side to side.
This will eliminate a burr along the top of the rail head.
A very light dressing with a file does not hurt, you may need to do this on the bottom of the rail to help with the joiner.
There are many shortcuts that can be used to your advantage when layout building, but
IMO, shortcuts when building track work is not one of them.
YMMV.

Good luck

jmmrlm

folks,

thanks a lot for the valuable input. really helps me understand.

discovered that the bachmann flextrack is also 100 code - same as the bachmann ez track.

so, i am guessing that i can use "regular" joiners - correct ?

relative to the suggestion to use roadbed to raise the height of the flextrack to match the ez track height - does road bed come in different heights and, if so, what should the height of the roadbed be to make the tops of the flextrack and the ez track end up being the same height (as you can guess by now, i am a novice at this !!!).

jbrock27

Yes, as long as the "regular" joiners are for CODE 100 rails.

There are different kinds of road bed out there, besides the pine wood and cork I mentioned.  Foam roadbed for example.  Also, Midwest, a quality company, sells cork roadbed for different scales and there are other companies, sell cork road bed.  I use the Midwest stuff.  Research among the choices will help you find if there are any differences in the heights of the available road beds.
Keep Calm and Carry On