News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plastic gear lube

Started by cmsluss, December 06, 2016, 01:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings!

My wife purchased Bachmann's HO "White Christmas Express" train.   I suspect the train has been on a shelf or in storage for a while.  The locomotive is Bachmann's USRA 0-6-0 switcher.  I ran it a little and noticed it's somewhat noisy, what I believe is gear "whine".  I was considering putting some grease on the drive gear, but I see Labelle's 106 grease is a little pricey for an occasional use locomotive like this.  I know this is a "train set" locomotive and it has limitations.  Any recommendations from experienced modelers on how to "quiet" this little loco?

Many thanks!

Flare

I use Bachmann's Gear Grease on gears, Heavy Gear Oil on axle bearings, Light Gear Oil on the side rods, and Conductive Contact Lube for the electrical pickups and for cleaning the wheels.

Together they keep my locos running smooth and quiet.

Sadly, the gear grease is more expensive than Labelle's, but I mostly use Bachmann products and figure they know the composition of their materials better than a generic lube.

jbrock27

I agree with you cmsluss that Labelle products can be pricey.

I have posted here several times in the past (and just recently) that for both plastic and metal gears, I find that lube sold at Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot and Harbor Freight works well.  It is advertised in the department stores as "fishing reel lube" and at the home improvement stores, it comes in bigger tubes (3 oz) advertised as "Super Lube".  The key is the stuff has PTFE, Teflon in it and is safe on plastic.  Not all lubricants are.

For oil, which I use on metal parts, I get for less than Labelle at the local hobby shop.  I know there are those who swear by Labelle and I have used Labelle oil, but don't see any difference except price.  I bet some good shopping can be had for oil, online.

Regarding the "gear whine": I have found that some locos just have that low pitch sound regardless of how much lube they get.  Does not mean they don't run smooth or well, it is just a sound they have.  It may or may not, reduce with some run time.

Hope this helps.  :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 06, 2016, 05:05:04 PM
I agree with you cmsluss that Labelle products can be pricey.

I have posted here several times in the past (and just recently) that for both plastic and metal gears, I find that lube sold at Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot and Harbor Freight works well.  It is advertised in the department stores as "fishing reel lube" and at the home improvement stores, it comes in bigger tubes (3 oz) advertised as "Super Lube".  The key is the stuff has PTFE, Teflon in it and is safe on plastic.  Not all lubricants are.

For oil, which I use on metal parts, I get for less than Labelle at the local hobby shop.  I know there are those who swear by Labelle and I have used Labelle oil, but don't see any difference except price.  I bet some good shopping can be had for oil, online.

Regarding the "gear whine": I have found that some locos just have that low pitch sound regardless of how much lube they get.  Does not mean they don't run smooth or well, it is just a sound they have.  It may or may not, reduce with some run time.

Hope this helps.  :)

There's some good sound advice. I can't say as I would disagree with anything you said there, Jim.

Sid

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

cmsluss

Thanks for the excellent advice!  This is the kind of help I was looking for.
I really appreciate the recommendations!

jbrock27

You are welcome!  So glad I could help :)
Keep Calm and Carry On