BACHMANN E-Z COMMAND CONTROL CENTER DCC ITEM 44902

Started by art1boroff, December 06, 2016, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art1boroff

Gentlemen:
I bought a Bachmann train DCC set which came with the above controller.  The box said the set is expandable and the booklet showed all types of layouts.  The problem the power connection to the track or terminal rerailer with wire track connection that came with the set is a single red wire that connects to the EZ Command Controller.  If I want to expand and put more terminal tracks they come with a two wire set up and there is no way to connect them. Item # 44510.  If you try to connect one terminal track to another  the wire kits you sell # 44498 does not work. You need wire with female plugs on both ends not one male and one with female. That does not work.  Please explain how to do this and do you sell what I need?
I also bought Bachmann remote control switches; but they need an a/c source; but your controller does not have an a/c source.  What to do?
I also wanted to buy the Bachmann 5 amp power booster; but that comes with bare wires to hook up to the track.  How do I do that,  what is the  compatible equipment for the DCC system you sell?

Flare

Sadly it seems Bachmann doesn't make double-ended terminal rerailer cables, but you can make your own by screwing two of the regular kind to terminal strips, or cutting the spade connectors off and soldering the wires together.

In addition to the RC switches you purchased, Bachmann makes versions with DCC decoders built in.  You can operate the switches you currently have from any analog controller with AC accessory terminals, but Bachmann's DC controller (44212) can also connect to the E-Z Command Controller to also control an analog locomotive on channel 10.  (Just try not to let it sit idle)

As for the power booster, you can remove the spade connectors and (to paraphrase the instructions) unscrew the red and black nuts to expose the post connector slots, then insert the wires into the slots and tighten the nuts to secure the connection.

art1boroff

Many thanks for the information.  It is a lot of trouble for a "plug and play" train set.
Where do you buy the extra spade connectors. The ones Bachmann sells are $ 10.00 and I have to destroy quite a few to achieve what I need.
why do you think Bachmann is not supporting the DCC program. It looks like a winner.

Flare

You can probably expand it quite a bit without needing more power feeds, my layout has a 30 foot mainline with a reverse loop at each end, and my DCC controller is near one of the loops without any extra feeders.

I don't know whether you're you're in the US or not, but Ebay would be the first place I'd look:  www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HO-scale-Bachmann-EZ-Track-power-connection-wires-/322351498982

If I understand your last question correctly, I imagine the reason is that most people who have a large enough layout to warrant multiple locomotives probably aren't using E-Z track, and use terminal joiners or solder their feeders directly to the rails themselves.

jbrock27

Quote from: art1boroff on December 06, 2016, 08:23:10 PM
I also bought Bachmann remote control switches; but they need an a/c source; but your controller does not have an a/c source.  What to do?

Easy, purchase a power pack that has AC terminals.  Nothing fancy.  Can be found all over a place like Ebay and inexpensive.  Tons of Bachmann and other "train set" style power packs that are good for little else but this kind of work.  Or, if you want a better quality power source, buy an MRC power pack.  For your purpose, it can be one of the older versions that has a metal case vs a black plastic one.  Both used and new ones are known to be extremely reliable and durable.  

For the life of me, I don't know why it is being suggested to you that you go buy DCC turnouts; more folks have more trouble with them than the non-DCC ones. ::)

Quote from: art1boroff on December 06, 2016, 11:03:44 PM
Where do you buy the extra spade connectors. The ones Bachmann sells are $ 10.00 and I have to destroy quite a few to achieve what I need.

Are you asking about the connectors themselves or the wire with the connectors?  If just the connectors, this would be the last place I would look to purchase them.  You can go to an electronics store, like Radio Shack, auto parts store, department store like Walmart or home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes for those.  They can even be found on Ebay, likely for less.  They just have to be sized to fit on the gauge wire you have.

Keep Calm and Carry On

art1boroff

WOW!  All great ideas. thank you.  Off to Radio Shack this morning.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Quote from: art1boroff on December 06, 2016, 11:03:44 PM
Many thanks for the information.  It is a lot of trouble for a "plug and play" train set.
why do you think Bachmann is not supporting the DCC program. It looks like a winner.

most serious model railroaders take the time to learn how to solder, and make their own connections to the track. It is cheaper in the long run to do this, and the tools needed for the initial setup are inexpensive as well.

Model railroading is not a plug n play hobby.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA