News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which track cleaning car should I get?

Started by Flare, December 08, 2016, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I'm planning an expansion to my layout that will leave parts of it unreachable by hand; as such I would like to get a track cleaning car.

The one that intrigues me most is the motorized one with vacuum, scrubbing, and sweeping functions sold by Atlas and Dapol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMExevHZjc

Does anybody have experience with this model or have another DCC-compatible motorized cleaning car they can advise?

Also, what's a good yet inexpensive cleaning fluid to use?

Len

I like to keep things simple, so I use the Bachmann (tank cars) and Walthers (box cars) track cleaners, They essentially drag a "Brite-Boy" with a weight on top under the middle of the car. With N/S rail, that's enough for the hidden staging tracks on the KL&B, when it's not in boxes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

How about building one using an old boxcar and piece of hardboard?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Terry Toenges

Cut off a couple of nails and super glue them to the hardboard. Drill a couple of holes in the bottom of a car. When the board gets dirty, sand it off and you have a fresh surface.

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

The motorized car was reviewed in MR a couple of years ago.  It intrigues me, too

Flare

I've seen the Bachmann tank cars' cleaning pad; it seems a bit soft, has no weight, and looks like it comes apart over time.  (Just as I imagine a piece of hardboard would, it looks lake the same stuff pegboard is made of)

And don't abrasives like a Brite-Boy leave scratches on rails that can become clogged with buildup?

I'm not questioning the fact that the solutions you guys posted work, I'm just wondering if a rotating polishing pad might work better?

Also, nobody mentioned cleaning fluid yet.  I currently use Bachmann's Conductive Contact Lube, but its cost might get prohibitive on the larger layout.

Jerrys HO

Flare I have been using my Bachmann one for over two years now and they are still fine. I do clean them periodically as the instructions state (by throwing them in the dishwasher). There are replacement pads available but I have not replaced the first one yet.
As far as a Brite Boy goes I have only ever used it on heavy soiled track and rub gently. I actually got a tip from this forum and started using a chrome mag wheel polish (Mothers) on my rails. Works well and run the track cleaning car once a month.

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on December 08, 2016, 06:05:04 PM
...looks like it comes apart over time.  (Just as I imagine a piece of hardboard would, it looks lake the same stuff pegboard is made of).

LOL, no man, the hardboard doesn't fall apart...

And don't abrasives like a Brite-Boy leave scratches on rails that can become clogged with buildup?

If I need to use a cleaning block, I use one that is softer than a Brite Boy; one made by Perfect for that very reason.  It is yellow.

Also, nobody mentioned cleaning fluid yet.  I currently use Bachmann's Conductive Contact Lube, but its cost might get prohibitive on the larger layout.

You are right, it would get costly.  If you wanted to go a fluid route, use Wahl's clipper oil to clean, then wipe off, the rails.

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 08, 2016, 07:09:52 PM
...chrome mag wheel polish (Mothers) on my rails. Works well...

That makes perfect, good, sense since that stuff works great on cleaning/polishing up wheel treads as well.  I find the best results if I can break down a loco's wheel set into 2 half axles and chuck the axle end in a drill and then polish away on the wheel using a little bit of Mother's on a dry or slightly damp sponge.  Then a little bit of balsa wood against the tread makes it shine and takes off the gunk.

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

QuoteThen a little bit of balsa wood against the tread makes it shine and takes off the gunk.

Never heard that one before, I have always used cork.

Trainman203

Ice cream bar sticks , or something similar like tongue depressors from the doctors office, are really good at non abrasive track cleaning.

The trouble with all those track cleaning cars is that they don't do the inside of the railhead, which occasionally is important.

Capacitors are going to eventually render all of the moot..

Terry Toenges

Sometimes, I just use a plain old pink pencil eraser. It's cheap and does the job.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 08, 2016, 10:29:36 PM
Quotebalsa wood against the tread makes it shine and takes off the gunk.

Never heard that one before

Now you have.  Re: wheel cleaning-the balsa works well bc of being soft, it cleans the space between the tread and flange very well.  The metal wheel will dig into the balsa, allowing good contact.

What kind of cork do you use?  Wine bottle? Roadbed? Cork-board?

I bet balsa would be a good way to clean the inside of the rail-head, if you were into that, without leaving any "shavings".
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

The pads on the Walthers cars a "like" a Brite-Boy, but not exactly the same, and the Bachmann car pads are completely different. I've never had a problem with scratches in the rails from them causing more dirt build up. Once a month I just make one or two passes on the hidden staging track, and that's it. If I can reach it, the rails just get wiped down with a heavy duty 'shop towel' wrapped around a block of wood.

For dirty wheels I buy 'orange sticks' in packs of 100 from the local beauty shop supply house. The point on one end gets into the flange-to-tread transition nicely, and the flat end gets the tread all polished up.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bill Baker

Somebody on this forum said that using transmission fluid as a solvent, then rubbing it off, was a good corrosion remover.  Any one ever use that and what were the results?
Bill

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on December 09, 2016, 08:19:30 AM
I buy 'orange sticks' in packs of 100 from the local beauty shop supply house.
Len

Are these what I would call "cosmetic Q-tips" Len?  Different from most folks think of when they hear "Q-Tip" in that the 2 ends are not the same.  And what are you putting on them to do the cleaning?

Quote from: Bill Baker on December 09, 2016, 11:33:19 AM
Somebody on this forum said that using transmission fluid as a solvent, then rubbing it off, was a good corrosion remover.

You are correct.  A quick SEARCH of Topics here should yield the results.

Keep Calm and Carry On