Programming Problem with 2-6-0 Steam Loco DCC with Sound

Started by DavefromMD, December 09, 2016, 07:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavefromMD

I have an NCE power cab. I program on the main. I have programmed a Bachmann DCC with sound GP38-2 with no issue.
With the 2-6-0 steam loco I select loco 3. I go into program on the main. I set the address to short address 19. The loco responds with a jerk. I press enter an it then returns the power cab to run mode as per the manual, but the loco does not respond to address 19. It still responds only to address 3.  I did not have this issue with my GPs. After setting the address with the GPs, they immediately responded to the new address.

DavefromMD

I just answered my own question. I vaguely recalled the same drill with the GPs. I seemed to recall I had to go into program track mode to reset the address. That worked. Now I can complete the rest of the setup on the main.

Hunt

Decoder programming worked as intended.

Background
Address interchangeable terms
  Short address is also known as primary address or 2-digit address
  Long address is also known as extended address or 4-digit address

Sound Value decoder addressing restriction –
Sound Value is a family of decoders made by SoundTraxx for Bachmann.
When using Programming on the Main Tack mode a SoundTraxx decoder will not allow you to change the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a short address to another short address or from a long address to another long address and vice versa. Workaround is to program short address to a long address. Then program from the long address to a short address or vice versa. Or use Service Mode (Programming Track) where the addressing restriction is not applicable. 

The SoundTraxx addressing restriction is covered in available documentation and has been covered on this Forum.

Steve Magee

The NCE Power Cab can change addresses on the main, but NOT short address to short address, or long address to long address. If you want to change the short address to another short address, then firstly change the short address to a long address - 999, for example - then change it to the short address you desire.

I won't get into NCE's short long addresses (or long short addresses) here. :-)

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Hunt

Quote from: Steve Magee on December 14, 2016, 06:56:12 AM
The NCE Power Cab can change addresses on the main, but NOT short address to short address, or long address to long address. If you want to change the short address to another short address, then firstly change the short address to a long address - 999, for example - then change it to the short address you desire.

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Hunt

Quote from: Steve Magee on December 14, 2016, 06:56:12 AM

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Steve, the NCE Power Cab does not have that addressing restriction, the SoundTraxx decoder is where the addressing restriction is.

Steve Magee

Hunt

I must respectfully disagree. To check this, using my Power Cab stand alone programmer in POM mode, I was able to change the address from 23 short to 999 long, then back to 23 short. I checked that the loco used responded to both numbers. The loco used was a Bachmann sound equipped (Soundtraxx Tsunami, according to Bachmann) On30 Heisler. So unless the decoder in the Mogul is a very odd Soundtraxx, it is definitely changeable.

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Hunt

Steve,

You are confused as you proved what I wrote. Carefully reread what I wrote in Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:29:16 PM.

Your test uses the decoder Address Restriction Workaround (short to long then to short) and of course it worked.  Run your test using POM  --  short address to another short address.  The decoder will not change to the other short address.

The point you are missing -- When using programming on the main it is the SoundTraxx made decoder, not the NCE Power Cab,  that does  not allow you to change from a short to another short address or change from a long to another long address. Again -  This decoder address restriction is not applicable when using programming track.

Steve Magee

Hunt

I agree with your second paragraph. It will not work in POM mode. I also just checked programming using a TCS WOW, a TCS T1 and an ESU Loksound V4. It is possible to go short:short and long:long on all EXCEPT for the TCS WOW V4, which displayed the same inability to reprogram (POM-wise) as the Soundtraxx. Yet the T1 I was able to reprogram. Go figure.

And yes, you are correct, I did not read all of your reply on 13/12 (or 12/13 to those not downunder). Please accept my apologies.

Steve Magee
On30 Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust