Thomas & Friends Train Packs Thread

Started by sean1994rail, December 15, 2016, 12:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean1994rail

This is the Thomas & Friends Train Packs thread.

Share your ideas of train packs consisting of a locomotive and rolling stock.

Here are some of my ideas:

Thomas, Annie and Clarabel
Percy and 2 Red Mail Cars
James and Troublesome Trucks #1 & #2
Salty, Salt Van and 6 Ton Wagon

WilsonProductions2

Are you talking about Bachmann producing these Train Packs?

I would be suprised if Bachmann ever created Train Packs, but here are some I have thought about:

Toby and Henrietta
Oliver, x3 GWR Cattle Wagon's and Toad
Diesel and x3 Oil Tanker's
Emily, Emily's Coach and Emily's Brake Coach
Spencer and Spencer's Special Coach
Rosie, x2 Red Coaches and Red Brake Coach

I have thought of some Wagon Packs too:

The Ultimate Troublesome Trucks Pack (Includes Troublesome Trucks #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and S. C. Ruffey)
Tanker Triple Pack (Includes Tidmouth Milk Tanker, Sodor Fuel Tanker and Oil Tanker)
The 7 Plank Open Wagons Pack (Includes Coal Wagon with Load, Open Wagon - Red, Open Wagon - Blue and Cargo Car)
Mixed-Goods Wagons Pack (Includes Sodor Salt Wagon, Ventilated Van and Brake Van)
The Ice-Cream Wagons Pack (Includes Ice Cream Wagon, Cream Tanker and Raspberry Syrup Tanker)
Utility Wagon Special Pack (Includes Mail Car, Green Mail Car and Refrigerator Car - Live Lobsters)

sean1994rail

Just an idea: another way to make discontinued rolling stock and engines still available, especially the flatbed, well wagon, tar tanker Salty, since his set is possibly discontinued in 2017, and with his individual release discontinued the year before, there 's no other way to get him.

WilsonProductions2

^ I doubt that Salty's Dockside Delivery Train Set will be discontinued next year. It's currently the only way to buy Salty, 6 Ton Wagon, Salt Wagon and Custom Conductor Figure. Where is the evidence that it could get discontinued next year?

Captain Crutch

Yes but for a time Walters thought Oliver would be out this summer. Not exactly reliable are they? But I'd like to see Edward in a set, either with a few trucks or the red coaches. I'd get that set in a heartbeat. Some narrow gauge sets would be wonderful. Skarloey and a few slate wagons and Sir Handle, Duncan or Peter Sam with a few coaches would be nice, but those require somethings to come out first. Just thinking for the future. Unfortunately I won't get amy narrow gauge til they release sets because right now it's just not feasible for me. Just an idea though.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Titanic5972

Would be nice to see one with Gordon and 2 or 3 Express Coaches, or perhaps Henry and a few log trucks.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on December 15, 2016, 04:34:51 PM
Where is the evidence that it could get discontinued next year?

That's a very good question, but what I'd like to know is where is the evidence that you were permitted back onto the forum?  I thought when a person's IP address is banned, that means they were behaving in a manner not contributing to the forum.  Furthermore, if someone who is banned were to sneak their way back on, one would think that they would be more confidential about their identity.  I guess that's how the cookie crumbles...

In terms of train packs guys, I think train sets would be a better discussion.  Even so (as I have found out from reputable sources), when most people buy a Thomas set, they most of the time want one which has Thomas.  From what I've gathered, this is the reason why the James, Gordon, and Percy sets were discontinued.  Surprisingly Emily's set and Salty's are still in the catalogue, but Salty's set is sold out and has been for some time.  Also keep in mind that their on the bottom of the bestsellers list.  Considering everything in that set (with the exception of the raspberry syrup tanker) is discontinued and/or exclusive to the set, it does raise the question of whether or not it will be taken out of the catalog in 2017.  As for Emily's set, I'm kind of asking myself the same question.

Something that does stick in mind however is bringing back a Percy set.  Although unlikely, I think a Percy set with 2 mail cars and maybe a brake van would be a great addition to the HO range.  Of course the set would also include the standard 36" of circle or 47" x 38" of oval track and the controller.  Chances of that set happening are probably next to nothing, but it's a thought.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

Quote from: Plow Bender on December 16, 2016, 12:20:45 AM

That's a very good question, but what I'd like to know is where is the evidence that you were permitted back onto the forum?  I thought when a person's IP address is banned, that means they were behaving in a manner not contributing to the forum.  Furthermore, if someone who is banned were to sneak their way back on, one would think that they would be more confidential about their identity.  I guess that's how the cookie crumbles...

I agree with Plow Bender, I can promise you that you will get nothing out of sneaking back on here with a different username and IP address while expecting no one to notice. ::)

And I agree with Plow Bender again, I don't see train packs happening since Bachmann is already making enough of a profit off of their train sets.  With the cost of a locomotive and some rolling stock combined, it would already be fairly expensive and probably wouldn't work well with consumers who are new to the hobby.  At that point, they might as well add an oval of track and a power pack so consumers can actually run their trains upon purchase.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Chaz on December 16, 2016, 12:57:57 PM
That's a very good question, but what I'd like to know is where is the evidence that you were permitted back onto the forum?  I thought when a person's IP address is banned, that means they were behaving in a manner not contributing to the forum.
I agree with Plow Bender, I can promise you that you will get nothing out of sneaking back on here with a different username and IP address while expecting no one to notice. ::)
Also, I seem to recall you saying you'd only come back to send messages to myself and Steve, as (in your own words, Jacob):
QuoteI am no longer posting in the forum, as no one liked me doing it.
And given the fact that you also mentioned if I spread news that you were back, you worried you could be banned. I think sooner or later, the moderators will catch up with you. It's happened to a few members here in previous times who have came back on the forums without permission from moderators first. To my knowledge, that doesn't occur much.

I assume plenty of members could name at least one user this happened to. So, if I must be completely honest, it may just be time to "quit while you're ahead", so to speak. Unless you want to get banned again, because that just seems to be what happens to people who come back on without moderator's permission first. It seems that you weren't going to post out of fear of being banned as well, which made sense, but unfortunately for you, it seems you've been unable to keep out of discussions. Potentially dooming your fledgling account. Be very careful...

Anyway (!), this thread has been more or less hijacked by this topic, so moving right along:

Quote from: Chaz on December 16, 2016, 12:57:57 PM
I don't see train packs happening since Bachmann is already making enough of a profit off of their train sets.  With the cost of a locomotive and some rolling stock combined, it would already be fairly expensive and probably wouldn't work well with consumers who are new to the hobby.  At that point, they might as well add an oval of track and a power pack so consumers can actually run their trains upon purchase.
I think honestly this is the best summation you can give as to why train packs would be difficult to make commercially viable in the Thomas and Friends range. Overall costs, and lack of appeal to new customers (often the target demographic for these items in other ranges). Sets just seem to do the job better, for a similar price, and often seem more reasonable in regards to value for money. But that's just my opinion.

~Alex

sean1994rail

That's a very good question, but what I'd like to know is where is the evidence that you were permitted back onto the forum?  I thought when a person's IP address is banned, that means they were behaving in a manner not contributing to the forum.  Furthermore, if someone who is banned were to sneak their way back on, one would think that they would be more confidential about their identity.  I guess that's how the cookie crumbles...

In terms of train packs guys, I think train sets would be a better discussion.  Even so (as I have found out from reputable sources), when most people buy a Thomas set, they most of the time want one which has Thomas.  From what I've gathered, this is the reason why the James, Gordon, and Percy sets were discontinued.  Surprisingly Emily's set and Salty's are still in the catalogue, but Salty's set is sold out and has been for some time.  Also keep in mind that their on the bottom of the bestsellers list.  Considering everything in that set (with the exception of the raspberry syrup tanker) is discontinued and/or exclusive to the set, it does raise the question of whether or not it will be taken out of the catalog in 2017.  As for Emily's set, I'm kind of asking myself the same question.

Something that does stick in mind however is bringing back a Percy set.  Although unlikely, I think a Percy set with 2 mail cars and maybe a brake van would be a great addition to the HO range.  Of course the set would also include the standard 36" of circle or 47" x 38" of oval track and the controller.  Chances of that set happening are probably next to nothing, but it's a thought.

-Rusty
The Percy Mail set isn't a bad idea. of course, they are other characters that could benefit for a set. The Little Western Set could include Duck, Oliver, Toad, S.C. Ruffey, GWR Cattle Wagon and other GWR rolling stock, making it first Bachmann Thomas set with two engines included and an oval with siding track layout.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: sean1994rail on December 17, 2016, 04:52:21 PM
The Percy Mail set isn't a bad idea. of course, they are other characters that could benefit for a set. The Little Western Set could include Duck, Oliver, Toad, S.C. Ruffey, GWR Cattle Wagon and other GWR rolling stock, making it first Bachmann Thomas set with two engines included and an oval with siding track layout.

Once again another great set idea, but still not much of a chance to be made sadly.  As I've mentioned before, most people when buying a Bachmann Thomas set want a set that has Thomas in it.  I've seen that Bachmann has better luck moving these sets as opposed to one with characters such as James, Gordon, Henry, etc.  I say Percy has a chance just for the fact he's pretty much 2nd best to Thomas, but I don't recommend getting hopes up for a Percy set again anytime soon (if ever).

Considering you brought up a Thomas set with 2 characters in it, I'm honestly curious if Bachmann would consider doing that?  Looking back on their HO line, they have only introduced 1 other set with 2 locomotives, being the Digital Commander set (#00501).  I'm not including the Acela Express set (#01204) considering only one of the units in that set is powered.  The only difference with the Digital Commander set though is that its DCC equipped (which makes sense to include 2 locomotives), where as the Thomas & Friends models are not.  Now if Bachmann were to introduce DCC Thomas models to their HO line, then maybe there's a chance for 2 engine characters in 1 set.  Dare say I'm only opening up another can of worms by bringing up DCC Thomas models...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."