News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Joiner Codes – Workable with Each Other?

Started by douglas, December 15, 2016, 02:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas

So I bought a bunch of code 80 track, which came with metal joiners in groups of 4. Long story short, they never disconnected evenly from their "groups" and the track doesn't connect evenly without gaps between sections or the track otherwise being laid evenly/completely straight.

I'm looking for joiners that come completely loose in boxes or bags. I see that Micro-Engineering has them for code 55 track, which I know is slightly thinner; would the joiners be compatible with my code 80 track? If not, are there other manufacturers wh make them for code 80? I am new to N scale (having switched from HO for space reasons) and could use some help in this matter

Rich_S

Douglas, Several manufactures make rail joiner's for Code 80 rail. Most state they can be used on both code 55 and code 80 rail. Personally, I always try to stick with joiners that are labelled for the rail type I'm using.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Atlas-N-2535-Nickel-Silver-Code-80-Track-Rail-Join-p/atl-2535.htm

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Peco-N-Metal-Conducting-Rail-Joiners-p/pec-sl310.htm

On your existing rail joiners, check to ensure the metal tabs on each end of the joiner is not too long or bent, keeping the rail joiner from completely sliding on the rail. Sometimes if the rail joiner tab is too long, it may contact the tie, causing a gap in the track sections?

Sorry Bach Man, but in my opinion, this is a neatest tool to come down the line in quite a while. It's a tool for adding rail joiners to track sections, no more sore fingers.
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-48003-all-scales-rail-joiner-sidekick.aspx

Regards,

Piyer

Quote from: douglas on December 15, 2016, 02:44:30 PM
So I bought a bunch of code 80 track, which came with metal joiners in groups of 4. Long story short, they never disconnected evenly from their "groups" and the track doesn't connect evenly without gaps between sections or the track otherwise being laid evenly/completely straight.

I'm looking for joiners that come completely loose in boxes or bags. I see that Micro-Engineering has them for code 55 track, which I know is slightly thinner; would the joiners be compatible with my code 80 track? If not, are there other manufacturers wh make them for code 80? I am new to N scale (having switched from HO for space reasons) and could use some help in this matter

As long as the joiners fit snugly and do their job, you can mix and match. I have mostly code 55 track, but I use its joiners where I have code 80 on the hidden loops.

Also, and I feel like a bit of a troll for stating what seems obvious at least to me, but... you could just trim off the extra metal from the joiners you have with any number of tools - or even a good scissor. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Len

It's best to use a rail cutter to seperate those strips of joiners. That way the ends don't get bent and cause problems. And Peco makes code 80 joiners that are loose in the package.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

TJ

Thought all rail joiners were all the same regardless of Manaufacturer.

TJ