New to HO. It's been 30 years

Started by Jmrinlc, December 18, 2016, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmrinlc

Well, it's been 30 years since my dad and I built an elaborate 4x8 layout wnen I was a teenager. Now my son wants to build one. Thought we would start simple. All he wants is a figure 8 over and under. Any suggestions??  I've been out of this for a LONG time!! Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Should I scratch build it or is there any train sets or track sets that anyone would recommend? Don't want to break the bank on our first build but don't want to go cheap either. Thanks in advance.

jbrock27

For over and under, there are at least 2 choices that will not create an unmanageable grade for the locos and any cars they pull.  One choice is Woodland Scenics foam risers.  The other is an Atlas pier set.  With the Atlas pier set you have to use track that does not have roadbed attached.

Sounds like you are in for some fun!  :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I would highly recommend looking at some track plan books. There is one devoted to EZ track, and Atlas has a series of books. By following a published plan for sectional track, you can be sure the layout you are building will actually work. A common mistake most beginners make when designing a railroad is not allowing enough room for the track switches. Even the smallest ones take up about 9 inches each, the larger ones significantly more.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Flare

How simple of a layout do you and he have in mind?

If you want to use Bachmann's E-Z Track (With built-in plastic roadbed) their "First Track Pack" has enough track to make the figure eight with some to spare.  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_783&products_id=2494

And in addition to what JBrock mentioned, Bachmann has their own graduated pier set for their E-Z Track:  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_784&products_id=2529

If you do decide to make your own roadbed, I will say that Atlas' code 83 True Track is a lot more prototypical than Bachmann's.

Jmrinlc

Thanks guys. Looks like the foam is the way to go.

richiy

Quote from: Jmrinlc on December 19, 2016, 12:20:33 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like the foam is the way to go.

This will give you an idea. Google'

The Grand Valley Layout Kit

Rather not post that link here. A complete PDF showing the foam method.

Make sure you use nickel silver track, not steel track. Bachmann sells both.

Possibly a Google search for using Bachmann products in a four by eight, over under would work and maybe You Tube videos will show some.
Almost everyone shows stuff on You Tube. Some videos not very good but can give you ideas.

richiy

Hunt

Jmrinlc,

Suggest you visit Model Railroad Magazine website Click Here and spend the time looking through all the links. Lots of information you may want to take into consideration.  Lots of information available without have it subscribe to one of the magazines.

Hunt

A correction is in the quote

Quote from: Hunt on December 19, 2016, 05:01:18 PM
Jmrinlc,

Suggest you visit Model Railroad Magazine website Click Here and spend the time looking through all the links. Lots of information you may want to take into consideration.  Lots of information available without have it having to subscribe to one of the magazines.

an aside ......
Copy of this reply and the recording of my original reply are going to the voice recognition software programmers.

jbrock27

You are welcome Jmrinic. :)   Good luck and have fun.
Keep Calm and Carry On