News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tinkering with the Baby Trainmaster

Started by jonathan, December 20, 2016, 04:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

The recent thread about the H16-44, made me dig out my two diesels and inspired me to start this project.

There are two holes on the top of these locos that are just itching to get some flashing lights:

To get ready, I had to renumber one of these locos (I had two #928's), give the shell a shot of dullcote (gonna weather it) and set it aside:

The real project begins with the light board. I used a fine sharpie to mark the board, so I know where the front, right, and left (+-) are located. I also drilled four holes to mount the resistors I'll need for the flashing LEDs:

I used 560K ohm resistors.  Hope it's enough:

Next, I soldered some leads to the pick up tabs... red is positive - yellow is negative:

Finally, added the wires to the back:

That's as far as I've gotten.  The 3mm red flashing LEDs should arrive today or tomorrow.  To be continued...

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  OOPS! I ran the wires through the screw holes.  Not to worry I fixed it.  I'll go wipe the egg off my face now.   ;D

Len

Ummmm ???...Putting flashing lights in those holes will make it a tad difficult for the exhaust to get out, won't it???

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Not at all. After all, the locomotive is electric!  ;D  ;D

Just trying to make this loco interesting to look at while operating.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK, finished the first diesel.  I don't what I did to my camera, but this first photo turned out super grainy.

Weathered:

The next two shots show the LEDs in action.  I don't have much luck with videos to you'll have to live with this:

Not prototypical, I know, but the kiddies will like it. Well, I like it, too.

On to the next one.

Regards,

Jonathan

choochoopapa

So now that the exhaust stack are housing lights where would the exhaust exit.

jonathan

Alrighty then. I'm going to get all kinds of grief about the exhaust.  8)  I'll just let this thread die the backpage death it obviously deserves.  I'll crawl back into my box now, and go enjoy my blinking light exhaust pipes.  ;D

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night.

See you after the new year.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Hey, do whatever makes you feel good and what you like :)

Merry Christmas to you as well!
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Everyone's a critic....lmao.  ::)

I put a strobe on the back of that SD40 I weathered a while ago. Had a couple guys  tellin' me they never had strobes up there. Like a guy from Louisiana knows about what happened in the Waterways yards of the NAR.....lol.

Some folks need to spend more time building, and less time posting.

Sid

Desertdweller

I think we should lighten up on Johnathan.  He did a good, neat job of installing those lights.  It is a good beginning electronics project, much like my addition of directional lighting in my locomotives that did not already have it.

If there needs to be a lesson in this, it should be to do at least a little research into the prototype of what you are modelling.  As far as I know, all FM locomotives have side-by-side exhaust ports if they are using FM engines.

Let's keep a little Christmas Spirit here.

Les

WoundedBear

Quote from: Desertdweller on December 23, 2016, 02:31:51 PM

Let's keep a little Christmas Spirit here.

Les

LOLOL....bah humbug ;D

I agree with you Les. I'm on Jonathan side here too. I just say it differently.

Sid

Jerrys HO

QuoteEveryone's a critic.

As the ole saying goes... It's your railroad do what you want to"
Jonathan is one of the member's here that I really enjoy his projects.

QuoteHad a couple guys  tellin' me they never had strobes up there. Like a guy from Louisiana knows about what happened in the Waterways yards of the NAR

yep them Louisianians think they know everything  ;D

QuoteSome folks need to spend more time building, and less time posting

What and ruin the fun we have here?

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 23, 2016, 02:54:38 PM
them Louisianians think they know everything

...but in reality...

JV, where'd you pick up the blinking LEDs?

(Hey, someone get in touch with BigJoe11a !! :D)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote...but in reality...

Wonder where you going with this? I won't stoop to your level of trying to make someone feel/look stupid as you do so well and often unless you want to do it privately on the phone. Sorry jv had to try and end it here.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 23, 2016, 04:23:07 PM
Wonder where you going with this?

If you have to wonder, then you've proven my point.;)

I won't stoop to your level of trying to make someone feel/look stupid

Don't know what you mean by level.  Do you perhaps mean upwards?  And, no of course, you would never do that, now would you?.... ::)  People are free to feel or not feel, stupid, at their own discretion.

trying to make someone feel/look stupid as you do so well and often

That's far from what I do with most of my time here.

unless you want to do it privately on the phone

If that's an invitation to talk to you on the phone, I'll pass.  Been there, done that.  If I thought you were being genuine, it would be a different story.

Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

:D Girls! Girls! You're all pretty.  ;D

Just playing with my toys and having some fun doing something different.  I'm a steam guy, so tricking out a rolling refrigerator was just a diversion.

To answer one question.  I went on ebay and found a company called Lighthouse something or other... They had LEDs with the blinking circuit built right into a 3mm LED, for 60 cents a piece, including shipping.  I may adding a blinking red light to the top of a structure or something. 

It's all good my friends.

I performed the same surgery on the other trainmaster, too.

Regards,

Jonathan