News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about 4-6-0 On30 build quality

Started by scarpi, December 26, 2016, 12:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpi

Hi all. I have an On30 layout and currently run four DCC Bachmann engines consisting of three 4-6-0s and one 4-4-0. All were bought new and the problems occurred when I initially got them. These issues were as follows. One 4-6-0 had a very noisy motor that Bachmann fixed (a bad bearing). But this engine eventually stopped running so I purchased and installed a whole new power train for it and now it runs well. Other issues with my other two 4-6-0s included windows coming unglued and falling out of position in the cabs which I glued back into place and problems with the rear tender truck. There is so much play in the truck that either the wheels derail or the whole wheel actually falls out of the truck when you pick up the tender. I also fixed these issues by purchasing extra tender trucks and replacing the ones on my new engines. All of these issues makes me question the build quality of these engines, especially since I had issues with all three 4-6-0s when new. I fixed the problems but this should not happen on new engines. I had to purchase new parts and replace those defective ones on my new engines. I support Bachmann and I have many of their engines and freight cars on my layout, but I feel that issues like this should not happen and in my opinion points to build or QC problems with these engines. I just finally had to come on the forum and point these issues out.  

p51

Odd. Luck of the draw, I guess.
I have 4 of the ten-wheelers (it's all I run) and none of the issues you've named when they were new (don't have to knock on wood that way).
-Lee

scarpi

I'm glad you haven't had any issues with your ten wheeler engines. Maybe it's just the assembly of the 4-6-0 and the lack of quality control checks on them. But I wouldn't call it the luck of the draw when three out of three new 4-6-0s have issues. Some of them the same issue. I believe this is what happens when you don't have competition. I know this is a Bachmann forum, but if other companies were making On30 engines we all would get better engines and more variety even from Bachmann. Like I said before my layout is loaded with Bachmann equipment so I have supported the company.

p51

Quote from: scarpi on December 28, 2016, 11:18:22 AMI wouldn't call it the luck of the draw when three out of three new 4-6-0s have issues.
It's certainly luck of the draw if others have run their ten-wheelers lots of times and never had any issues. I know several people with large layouts who run them regularly and have had zero issues (many have problems with the gears on Bachmann On30 shays, though and the railcar gear problems are well known).
I agree it seems odd that you're not the only one with problems with most of a similar class but others haven't. The only thing I can draw from this is maybe there were batches that had problems?
-Lee

palallin

I have not had the motor problem with mine, but I have had the problem with windows falling out and the tender trucks coming apart.