Locking GP525 Burlington GP9 in Forward

Started by montejd, November 10, 2016, 04:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montejd

Hello.  I'm new to your board, and I have a question? 

We purchased a vintage Williams engine identified on the box as "GP525 Burlington GP9 Power A W/Horn CAB # 2329".  This engine was purchased for use in a children's museum where I do volunteer work.  It's essential that we lock the engine in forward.

I have modified a few Rev. 4 circuit boards to lock the engine in forward, but, even though one of the boards in this engine looks very much like a Rev. 4 board, the same mod doesn't do anything.   The board is identified as a 247 Category 1 reversing board, Patent # 5,321,344, and 335-X001R2.  This appears to be an engine from the early 1990's when locking into a direction may not have even been discussed.

Would anyone know if this engine can in fact be modified to lock it into forward?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

phillyreading

Joe,
I know of a modification that you do to the Williams engine and it will lock in one direction. Take out the circuit board and replace it with a bridge rectifier, rated at 6 amps 50 volts. The bridge rectifier modifies the AC voltage to DC and will allow you to run your engine without any worries of shifting in neutral or reverse. Solder the motor wires(first check to see which way your engine runs then solder the wires) to the + and - leads on the bridge rectifier and the track voltage goes in to the 2 ~ leads.
I have done this to 2 Crown Edition diesel engines and they work great. You may gain about 5% power increase using the bridge rectifier.
FYI; the bridge rectifier, 6 amp 50 volt, costs about $4.00 at most electronic parts stores.
Williams has used many different circuit boards over the years so the bridge rectifier is 100% sure to work.

Lee F.

montejd

I purchased the bridge rectifier and installed it, which was easy to do.  Engine is now locked in forward.  Thanks for your help.

Joe

phillyreading

Glad to help you Joe.
Installing the bridge rectifier has not hurt any of my Williams F-7 Crown Edition engines.

Lee F.