News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Forney coupler height problem

Started by bpnjensen, January 07, 2017, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpnjensen

Just bought a new Large Scale Bachmann Forney - an absolutely beautiful model.

For my simple purposes, I use the knuckle / hook and loop couplers provided with the freight cars I buy - no Kadees or anything like that, and they work great for me.  On the Forney, The coupler height is *extremely high*, far higher than any other rolling stock I have, including virtually all the Bachmann pieces I own.  There appears to be no way to lower or modify the coupler to work with any other freight or passenger cars I have.

I would appreciate any advice on how to rectify this problem.  Any answer appreciated - thanks!

- Bruce Jensen, CA

Loco Bill Canelos

Bruce,

I seem to recall that the Forney came with a second set of couplers or at least a second  rear coupler in the box which you can install which is specifically designed to work with the standard line freight cars with the truck mounted couplers.  Hopefully someone can confirm this, but check the box and look for a second set of couplers.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

Bruce,

Welcome to Large Scale. The issue you are experiencing is relative to scale, and methodology. The Forney you purchased is a 1:20.3 model of a finely detailed model. As such, in keeping with prototype practices, the couplers are 'body mounted' height. That means that in scale, the center line of the coupler is approximately 1 1/8 inches high, and relatively stable.

By your description, I believe you are running 'Big Hauler' rolling stock with truck mounted couplers. These models are roughly 1:22 to 1:24 in scale. The couplers are also smaller in size. The couplers mounted on the trucks are supposed to be at 1 1/16 inches center line which one would think will work. However the truck mounted couplers tend to 'sag' a bit in the first place and any undulations in the track will make them come uncoupled when mating with a 1:20.3 coupler. I did the same thing when I first entered into Large Scale.

If you are running on tight radius track (less than an 8 foot diameter circle) I recommend purchasing a spare truck for one of your cars. Modify the 'tang' the coupler is mounted to, to raise it up to better match the coupler on the Forney. Althought different, the couplers will play nice together when set at the same height. By altering an additional truck, you maintain the originality of the car. I wish I had taken pictures of what I had done to share.

An alternate method, assuming larger than 8 foot diameter circles, would be to choose one car and modify it by body mounting a coupler on one end of the car to mate the Forney. Again, this only alters one car.

Good luck, and Happy Railroading.

Bob C.

bpnjensen

Hi, Loco Bill and Bob. C. - thanks for this information!  It all makes sense.

The Forney does come with an alternative pair of couplers, with much shorter drawbars / shanks attached so that they are not direct swaps for the factory couplers (they are instead designed to mount on the body of the engine).  However, after reading your responses, a look at them revealed that they were set at a lower height, more in line with Big Haulers, USA Trains or LGB coupler heights.  Close examination with my old-timers glasses on revealed that, luckily, they could be removed from their shorter shanks by a tiny screw at the base of the coupler and swapped out that way.  I did so, and VOILA the height match is now plenty close enough to ensure a solid connection.

Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and Very Happy 2017 to you  :)

Loco Bill Canelos

Glad it is working for you, it is a beauty alright and I  am sure you will have fun with it!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Ted Yarbrough

Friends,
If someone else encounters this problem, a simple solution is to add LGB knuckle couplers to the car behind the locomotive. These fit directly on the Bachmann Big Hauler cars with no modification. They work perfectly to match the Big Haulers, or other similar rolling stock with the 1:20.3 scale Bachmann locomotives.
Ted