Will Bachmann #57804 L&N #549 Alco 2-6-0 work on a MRC Prodigy?

Started by Searsport, January 10, 2017, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I am looking at an ad for "Bachmann #57804 L&N #549 Alco 2-6-0 Loco with EZ App Train Control". It says a load of stuff, including "ready to launch and use instantly after downloading the FREE Bachmann E-Z App™ from the Google Play store or Apple App Store".

I have no idea what this gobbledygook is about. I have no intention of buying a mobile phone and paying exorbitant monthly rental just so I can run one of my engines. And I dumped my Bachmann Dynamis because I got fed-up with a system where the batteries would run out at an inconvenient moment and it would go haywire from time to time for no obvious reason – I am now strictly cable.

Will this loco work on a plain old MRC Prodigy Advance controller? I read elsewhere on the EZ App board the general comment that "These locos do not have DCC or sound. The control comes from the phone and the sound plays from the phone not the locomotive. You can however modify things to how you desire depending on your abilities."

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,
Bill.

Bucksco

It will not work with a DCC controller - it has a Bluetooth chip mounted to the circuit board and is designed to work with the Bachmann EZ APP Smart Device application.

Searsport

Hi Mr B, thanks for your swift reply. I interpret "a Bluetooth chip mounted to the circuit board" as meaning part of, not plugged into, so am I right to assume that I need to replace the board entirely for DCC operation? If so I would fit an Econami, so can you confirm whether the tender is prepared for a speaker? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? It would be unfortunate to miss out on this L&N small loco entirely.

Thanks,
Bill.

Bucksco

The circuit board would need to be replaced for DCC operation. There is a speaker cavity in the tender.

Searsport

railtwister

Quote from: Searsport on January 10, 2017, 06:33:06 PM
Hi, thanks very much. I shall proceed!

Best Regards,
Bill.

WAIT! Before you remove the E-Z App Bluetooth board, remember that your E-Z App loco will function just fine on ANY layout already running DCC, with the only caveat being that it will need to be controlled with a BlueTooth device such as a cellphone or iPad (or equivalent tablet), but not with a typical DCC controller. Other DCC trains will operate on the same layout alongside the E-Z App loco, and neither will interfere with the other. If you plan to have more than one operator on your DCC layout, an E-Z App loco is a good choice because you will only need the loco and your cellphone, so you won't have to go out and purchase an additional DCC handheld.

Bill in FtL

Searsport

Hi Bill, thanks very much for your reply. I am trying to avoid the situation where I have my MRC controller in one hand and a cellphone in the other. Apart from which I don't have a cell-phone and would have to buy one, and I assume pay a monthly subscription to a service provider. Us old folks just use land-lines, and are very happy when we cannot be reached! I also like the sound to come from the loco, not from my hand!!

Best Regards,
Bill.

Grapevine Flyer

Sounds like you started a thread about a loco that doesn't suit your needs.  But just so you know, there are plenty of devices that will run these trains, and a monthly service is not required. I see RCA voyagers are $42:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Voyager-7-16GB-Tablet-Android-6.0-Marshmallow/53990885

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-E-Lite-with-WiFi-7.0-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.4-KitKat-Operating-System/51077603

As for sound, lots of people put mini-bluetooth speakers in a trailing car for very cheap: http://bluerailtrains.com/2016/01/05/bluerail-trains-onboard-sound-for-10/

Best of luck.