News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

To the Bachmann -Development of engines

Started by mudhen, January 13, 2017, 12:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mekump

I don't mean to steal this thread talking about new locomotives from Bachmann, but what about maybe a Starbucks Coffee boxcar? I would buy one. I'd even buy one in 'O' gauge.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Mark Oles

mekump

Quote from: Mark Oles on February 03, 2017, 11:52:11 AM
I have a Starbucks boxcar!!

What brand made a Starbucks boxcar? Can you provide pictures and more details?

mudhen

Can we stay on the topic please, it has nothing to do with Starbucks.
Thanks in advance for complying to my request.

Mark Oles

OK, so back to the original topic,  I am happy to see that Bachmann has taken a lot of time and $$ to revamp their Anniversary 4-6-0 to include metal gears and a better lead truck.  The 4-6-0 has been one of the most well received locomotives in the large scale hobby, almost as universal as the LGB stainz. 

Taking a look at the reasons:
- It operates on an R1 curve. Like it or not, the R1 is about as big as most people are willing to give up for a Christmas train. 
- It doesn't take a huge power supply to operate.
- It is a well proportioned, good looking locomotive.
- Spare parts are readily available.
- They are relatively inexpensive.

As a suggestion, perhaps some minor details could be changed to give this locomotive an overall look of a smaller scale (1/29-1/32 ish).  There have been numerous building logs where skilled modelers have taken this engine and converted it to a 1/20.3 scale engine through the addition of a larger cab.  Bachmann themselves have done this in the On30 line using drives from HO scale engines to build larger scaled models.  Perhaps, just perhaps, it would be possible to adapt a smaller cab and to the existing 1/22.5 Big Hauler 4-6-0 to give a more standard gauge 'look'.

Here's a shot of an engine that looks similar to a big hauler (wagon top boiler, extended smokebox): from this website: http://www.taplines.net/July/wtrr1.htm

While I do not have line drawings to do a 1:1 comparision, my sense is that a smaller cab in both height and width would be the bulk of the requirement to make a Big Hauler look more 'standard gauge'. 

Going in a completely different direction...what about the new Siemens Sprinter locomotives that have recently started in service on the North East Corridor? Do we always need to look backward?

HWTMilr

JBSahnd

Bachmann recently released an updated Mogul at the end of last year. I purchased one and am very pleased with the locomotive. The Mogul has all of the upgraded features that were offered on the K27 and C19 ( I have one each of those locomotives also). The point is  - if Bachmann builds a locomotive that has not been produced recently or not at all, then people will but buy it; assuming it's a "reasonable cost" !!

To quote the movie Field of Dreams - "If you build it, they will come". I agree with Greg and Kevin...

Personally, I would like to see a K28 and T12 built. As I told a Bachmann rep at the 2015 NGRC in Denver - "If both engines were available today, I would buy them". The reply I heard, was the same Bachmann reply stated earlier in this thread - soft market. I don't think that is a correct statement today.

JBSahnd

One more observation I would like to share... As many know that live in the Denver area and from far and wide, there will be a GRAND REOPENING of Caboose this coming Saturday, Feb 25th. http://www.mycaboose.com/.

This says one important thing to me. There is still a demand/market for a brick & motor model railroad store. The new owner, Kevin Ruble is an intelligent successful business man that is also a model railroader himself. I'm sure Kevin did an enormous amount of market feasibility studies, before undertaking this new business venture. Soft market? I'll trust a professional's decision to move forward and reopen Caboose. Time will tell... but I'm an optimist!