Walschaerts valve gear removal from Annie 460 ?

Started by Bearnhardt68, January 16, 2017, 11:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearnhardt68

Need to remove walschaerts valve gear assembly from Annie 460, but not sure where exactly to begin. I have seen the parts diagram, But can't figure out what to disassemble and what not to.  Does anybody know The steps for removal from chassis?  a link? A video? Etc. I will be putting it back on.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bearnhart,

Since there has been no responses, I have the following suggestions.  Start by removing the crankpins on each wheel and bagging them and labeling them as you go and take a photo of each step as you go.   As you remove the main crankpin take a photo so you can put all the rods back in the same order.  Looking above the the front driver you will see where the gear is fastened to the chassis by two small screws remove these screws and bag them.  At this point the remaining parts should slide out of the cylinder.

Working carefully you should have no problem doing it. 

Good Luck,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Bearnhardt68

Hi Loco Bill,

Thank you so much for responding.  I will  follow your advice and try to take on this project this weekend.  I am fairly new to this hobby and learning a lot quickly through this forum and members like you. Thank you again for your advice.

Kevin Strong

The tricky part will be the reverse quadrant hangers. They're attached to the top of the frame, and won't come off without taking the boiler off of the locomotive.

Later,

K

Bearnhardt68

Hi K,

The whole cab is removed and down to just the chassis. There is the bar that goes across the top of the chassis,  is this the bar you are talking about?  Can I not remove the two small screws(one on each side)  that attaches the bar with small linkages to the rest of the gear assembly? Thank you for your help and response.

Kevin Strong

If you've got the boiler and cab off of the frame, then most definitely, you can remove the valve gear from the frame. If I recall, the reverse bar is what ends up keeping both sides joined together with no easy way of separating them, but you can remove them easily enough.

Later,

K

Bearnhardt68

Thank you guys so much,  I have successfully removed the valve gears from the chassis.  Is there a way to remove the valve gears from the valve chest?   I see in the parts diagram that it looks like it can be separated.  Trying to get a good paint job on the chest to match my Loco.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.