Issue with HO Scale 2-8-0 with sound

Started by jlg759, January 19, 2017, 09:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlg759

Good Evening I was looking for a little help. I somehow managed to change a setting on my 2-8-0 with sound and now everything works but I have no sound. I did the reset codes CV8=8 and cycled the power and when finished engine responded to 3 as the engine number but no sound. Can anyone suggest what else I might need to check.

Thanks

Joe

Hunt

jlg759

Bucksco

Try resetting the decoder to it's factory settings.

jlg759

I did reset cv 8 to 8 and still no change.

Bucksco

Bucksco

Is this an older Spectrum model with a Tsunami sound decoder?

jlg759

Yes i think I have had it for about 3 or 4 years

richiy

Quote from: jlg759 on January 20, 2017, 12:41:13 PM
I did reset cv 8 to 8 and still no change.

When you did the reset, did you cycle track power? The headlight should have flashed a number of times and the loco run on address 3. If it did and still no sound, probably decoder issue.

I have Bachmann loc0os with Tsunami sound and the NCE Power Cab.

richiy

WoundedBear

richiy

Forgot to look at the first post.
I would figure a broken speaker wire connection, speaker or decoder issue.
Never happened to me.
Does the OP have another speaker?
An ohm meter can check the speaker.
I do remember many years ago the that some audio people would check for speaker polarity with a nine volt battery. You do get a click. Most speakers did not have polarity markings.

richiy

Bucksco

Here are a couple of ideas. Try CV128 (master volume) 0-255. Try a different address (other than 3) and see if the sound restores. NCE has a recall button that allows the throttle to control 2 locos. If pressing recall doesn't change to a different address it could be conflicting commands (F8). If all else fails it might be physical (wire, speaker, amplifier).

rogertra

As you are use NCE, download and install JMRI and use that to program your locomotives.  That way, you can not only assign the engine it's actual loco number, but JMRI gives you much better control over the CVs.  You don't even have to know what CV you are adjusting.  Just select "Speed" and adjust it.  Takes a few minutes to learn but it's really easy to use.

Roger T.