News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Several General / Newby Questions...

Started by thenson, January 20, 2017, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenson

1. Can you convert a non-DCC engine to a DCC engine?

2. What is the max voltage that an N-gauge engine should be ran at?

3. I have a "Yard Boss" starter set, what is the voltage output of the standard non-DCC power supply?

4. With my "Yard Boss" set, is it ok to run my 0-6-0 Engine at full speed?

5. Is there a recommended maximum time I should run my train at a time?

6. With my n-gauge Yard Boss, what is the expected life of one of these small engines?

7. Do these small engines need any type of maintenance? If so, how often?

8. With a starter set like I have, can I run more than one engine on the same track?

9. With my Yard Boss engine, is there a maximum number of cars I can pull?

10. Am I asking too many questions?

11. Do you know anyone that has some of the n-gauge Bachmann EZ track or other startup items they would like to sell or to donate to the "thenson grand children train fund"???

12. I'm thinking about adopting a 1930 to 1950 era logging community theme... or maybe an Alaskan fishing / logging community theme... anyone got any good pictures or links to this type of theme? Right now my intent is to stay relatively small, maybe a 3ft by 6 ft layout... I might even add some WWII airplanes into my theme...

Let me know what you think of my theme ideas...

thenson

Flare

1:  It depends on how the locomotive is built.  If the motor is electrically isolated from the frame and there's enough room for a decoder then the answer is probably yes.

2:  The maximum voltage should give the locomotive and any cars behind it just enough speed to negotiate the curves of the layout without falling off.

3:  Bachmann controllers operate at 16 volts.

4:  Yes, assuming it won't fall off or crash into something.

5:  I believe Bachmann says to lubricate and maintain locomotives after every 8 hours of run time.

6:  That depends on how often they're run and the level of care given.

7:  Here's Bachmann's N scale maintenance video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNDEDkx4Org

8:  Yes you can.  If you want to have a large analog layout with multiple trains look up 'block control';  It separates sections of the layout into electrically isolated 'blocks' so you can control direction and speed for different trains while avoiding short-circuits.

9:  All locomotives have a weight limit, when that's reached the weight of the engine on the rails won't be enough to overpower the weight of the cars.

10:  No, how else are you going to learn?  ;)

11:  Sounds like a good cause, but no.

12:  Youtube actually has videos of N scale logging layouts:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=n+scale+logging+layout

Personally, logging layouts are my favorite.  I hope you upload pictures when it's ready.  :)