News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

train material

Started by zimaaron, November 29, 2007, 09:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimaaron

i have just started looking into n scale trains. i was wondering firstly what bachmann n scale trains are made out of, i assume plastic, secondly i was wondering what the smallest radius turns you can have for n scale trains, and lastly i was wondering who the best n scale train makers are today.

thanks

Conrail Quality

1. Yes, plastic. There are basically three model train materials: plastic, resin, and brass. Plastic is cheap, mass-produced, sometimes the best-detailed, and usually the best running. Resin is generallly limited to limited-production, obscure models (such as commuter train models). Resin is more expensive then plastic, but not nearly as much as brass. Brass is very expensive, and iare generally more suited to the collector's shelf then actually running, since they are typically poor runners. Brass, however, apprechiates in value over time, unlike plastic.

2. About 9" seems to be the standard radius, but I'm certain you can go smaller.

3. This is very debatable and opionated. I think almost everyone agrees that Atlas and Kato belong in this category. In my opinion, Bachmann Spectrum belongs there as well, and Athearn and Con-Cor are not too far behind. Again, this is simply my opinion.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

GlennW

1) If you're wondering about lead, chances are there can be some in the cord that plugs an electrical device into the wall. Lead may be used as a dye to get the cord colors. You may want to ask at the hardware store, as lamps & other devices may have warning labels. You are not supposed to put these items in your mouth! You may also be advised to wash your hands after assembly of the device.

2) The lead paint was banned in the US in the 1970's. There s/b no  lead in any paints used today. I can't understand why this should be a problem for toys made in China. The lead would be more dangerous for the workers as it is for the user. Most model paints are acrylic. Lettering can either be painted or an ink solution supplied. There may be a tiny bit of metal to get the metallic effect in some paints.

3) Some older models used lead as a weight. In the split/frame design, this has been replaced by other metals. The lead used to provide more weight per oz for traction.  A lead putty is also available if a modeler wants to add more weight in small places inside a loco body.

9" is the smallest possible practical radius. For larger equipment, anything smaller than 12" is tight. Mainlines s/b 15" or better.