News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running DCC engine on DC transformer?

Started by riny, January 23, 2017, 11:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riny

I understand a DC/DCC dual decoder engine can also run on an DC transformer with no problems. Question: Is the Bachmann DCC On30 0-4-2 Porter able to run on DC? That is, does it have a dual DC/DCC decoder?

Flare

Bachmann On30 Porters made in the last few years do have dual-mode decoders.  They say DCC on the end of the box.

If in doubt you can still find the older ones that are DC-only.  ;)

Hunt

If you are using a compatible DC power pack the Bachmann On30 can be run with it.

The dual mode decoder is first and foremost a DCC decoder; it may be used on a DC powered layout within certain limitations. Some of the limitations --

The throttle must be turned up to around 5 volts to power up the decoder internal circuitry. When the throttle is around 7.5 volts locomotive will start to move. If track voltage exceeds 21 volts the decoder will automatically shut down.

The decoder works best in analog (DC) mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power. Older rheostat style power packs and pulse power packs will result in erratic and unreliable operation and should not be used with the decoder. If your power pack provides a Pulse power switch, set to the 'Off' position.

riny

Thanks for the info. And, I would assume Bachmann's Spectrum DC transformer is high-quality & could be used to run DCC engines.(?)

Flare

It will run them in analog mode, but not with the advanced functions of DCC.

Hunt

The old Bachmann Spectrum Magnum (circa 1990) is borderline. May experience flashing headlight between power up (around 5 VDC) and locomotive movement. If sound equipped,  some crackling noise from speaker between power up and locomotive movement.

p51

Quote from: Flare on January 23, 2017, 05:30:05 PM
It will run them in analog mode, but not with the advanced functions of DCC.
Yep. All my Bachmann On30 ten-wheelers were of course DCC and they ran just fine from a DC throttle. Even the sound ones worked (they automatically sounded a whistle when going forward and three blasts when backing up). I test-ran each one on a piece of flex-track when I got them to make sure they ran at all but didn't have my DCC system (or even a layout) at the time...
-Lee

RichU

I have the old Spectrum DC transformer trying to run a 4 x 6  x 0 Baldwin with DCC.  It does not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I get another transformer?  If so, which ones would work?

I am using a small layout from the 10 year old On30:  4 straight and 12 curved tracks. The On30 was not used much at all. It may have had 4 - 6 hours use max.