The difference between DC an DCC, the Dutch way.

Started by dutchbuilder, January 23, 2017, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchbuilder

I get the impression, frequenting this forum,that a lot of beginners don't have a clue what DCC is and what the difference is between DC and DCC.
Here is an attempt.

The difference between DC and DCC the simple way.

First DC.
The controller produces a voltage between 0 and lets say 12V Direct Current.
When turning the control knob you give the motor of the locomotive an increasing amount of electrons causing the motor to turn faster and faster.
When turning the knob the other way the locomotive will go slower and stop in the end.
Some controllers have a knob that turn to the right and to the left of a zero point.
There are others that have a toggle switch.
Both change the polarity of the controller from +/- to -/+ causing the locomotive to run the other way.
There are also controllers that simulate acceleration and deceleration.
But that's a different story
Simple so far?

Now to DCC.
Better known as Digital Command and Control.
A controller with DCC will send a digital signal comprised off 1's and 0's ( on or off's) also known as binary to a receiver on the locomotive.
The receiver/decoder in the locomotive will convert these into understandable commands.
The carrier with DCC commands looks like AC, not DC.
Every locomotive on track has a specific name or address.
Every signal send from the controller first sends that address and then the information what the locomotive has to do.
So only the locomotive with the right address will react.
An advantage of DCC in comparison with DC is that you can run several locomotives on one track completely independent of each other.
For example; If you want an head on collision, not recommanded but no problem.
You can also program the decoder specifically for that locomotive.

This is what I understand DC is with an extra C.

I hope this is simple enough explanation for anyone who wants to start with DCC.

Ton

railexpert

Hello Ton,

you forgot something important:

Depending on the DCC control center, there is a constant circuit with a voltage between 15V and 20V.

The DCC signals from the control center are modulated on this voltage.
They are sent from the control center to the locos, where they are translated into motion commands or function commands by the decoder.

The necessary current for motion and functions is supplied to the loco by the constantly applied circuit.

Railexpert    ;)

dutchbuilder

RAM

what I don't understand is how you can operate a dc locomotive on dcc.  there is nothing I the locomotive to tell it what to do.

richiy

Quote from: RAM on January 24, 2017, 03:02:10 PM
what I don't understand is how you can operate a dc locomotive on dcc.  there is nothing I the locomotive to tell it what to do.
\

Jim Banner explained that some years ago. EZ Command DCC controller and a couple other systems can do this.
Most systems today cannot.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

The DCC will cause the motor to buzz.
The motor will operate because it sees the positive or negative zero bits as DC.

With a decoder, the motor still sees positive or negative pulses as DC. It is called, PWM, Pulse Width Modulation. Twelve to fourteen volt pulses of varying width depending on speed.

richiy

dutchbuilder

My Lenz equipment can also run a dc locomotive using address zero.
Makes a lot of high frequency noise and run in the opposite direction as is normal.
I can't be good for the life of the dc motor.
That said, i use a PWM controller i bought in China on a pizza layout and it works very nice.
It uses 500Hz and makes a lot less noise.

Ton

richiy

I did measurements with voltmeter and Scope quite a few years ago.

Bought an infrared temperature scanner and the point where the brushes contact the commutator get hot and get hotter with the loco stopped as the AC component oscillates the armature. Reason for the buzz.
I had an old MRC2K similar to the EZ Command.
The scanner could also pick out the hot spot in a can motor also. I made a decoder tester some years ago and used some different motors as an experiment. It is hard on the motor.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about this in various forums over the years.
Always advised to park the loco on a siding and use a SPST switch to disable power to a raiil. Some like to use a DPDT switch.

richiy

dutchbuilder

This is a small movie i made of the pizza layout.
The porter runs on 500Hz PWM , no noise at all.
The controller is incorporated in the lampshade and the knob on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5ryPGOFAs

Ton

richiy

Very nice. I gather you like to experiment with electronics.

richiy

dutchbuilder

richiy

Quote from: dutchbuilder on January 24, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
full licence radio ham.

Ton

That explains all.

I was Wn3rub many years ago but did not like CW.

richiy

dutchbuilder

CW is obsolete.
In the Netherlands all C amateurs were given a full licence after CW was abolished.
So i can use HF.
No interest, i specialize in TV and satellites and USA narrow gauge.  ;D
PA3 and PA0 amateurs are the one's with CW.

Ton

WoundedBear

Quote from: richiy on January 24, 2017, 03:33:29 PM
Quote from: RAM on January 24, 2017, 03:02:10 PM
what I don't understand is how you can operate a dc locomotive on dcc.  there is nothing I the locomotive to tell it what to do.
\

Jim Banner explained that some years ago. EZ Command DCC controller and a couple other systems can do this.
Most systems today cannot.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

The DCC will cause the motor to buzz.
The motor will operate because it sees the positive or negative zero bits as DC.

With a decoder, the motor still sees positive or negative pulses as DC. It is called, PWM, Pulse Width Modulation. Twelve to fourteen volt pulses of varying width depending on speed.

richiy

Again a reminder. Jim's old site is set to go away as of March 6 of this year. If you want any info from there. it's best to copy it now.

Sid

richiy

Yes, I save pages like this to my PC. Easy to do.  With FF, click File, Save Page As. Add the name you like.
I double click that file and the page opens in my PC like it use to. Tough keeping track of those those pages though.

richiy

dutchbuilder

I had a look at Jim's site, interesting, if you know what he is talking about and you have a basic knowledge of electronics and computers.
It is still to technical and to complicated for Joe the User.
Joe isn't that much interested in how it works as long as i does the job.
It is nice to know.
That's why i tried to keep my explanation KISS.

Ton