Bachmann specific diesel Coupler installaion directions or video

Started by Hartz, January 24, 2017, 07:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartz

Hello.
I have 7 Bachmann n scale diesel locomotives, some w/rapido couplers and some w/knuckle couplers.  Two of the locos have no coupler at the rear.  All my cars have rapido couplers. So I need to set up 2-3 cars w/rapido at one end and knuckle at the other end.  What Bachmann truck/coupler is the best for doing this?  Is there a video or detailed written instructions for installing couplers of either style on Bachmann locomotives?
Thank you for you help.
Hartz

brokemoto

You have choices.

If the rolling stock is all B-mann, the Micro-Trains 1133 is almost universal for B-mann products.  Thus, if your locomotives are older B-mann, the 1133 may fit those, as well.  Check Micro-Trains' website for the specific conversion for your locomotive(s).  If you have sharp curves, Micro-Trains does sell an 1134 that is simply an 1133 with a longer shank.

The easiest thing to do may be to buy Micro-Trains 1000s, which are Bettendorf trucks with a truck mounted coupler.  You put the MT truck on one end of the car.   For the other end, Micro-Trains used to sell a 1500, which is a MT truck with Rapido couplers.   I understand that MT has discontinued this one, but you may find some at shows or at dealers as NOS.   If you can not find any, send me a PM and I have some around the house somewhere.  I will look for them.  It is best if your trucks are from the same manufacturer.  Another possibility is to buy some Atlas freight car trucks with Repidos and some with Accumates.  If you go the Atlas route, be sure that you get the newer ones, as the first Accumates had a nasty habit of discombobulating.  Atlas has since addressed the problem.

B-mann does sell some dummy knuckle couplers, as well.

You might want to convert everything, power included, to knuckle couplers, as the manufacturers have been getting away from the Rapidos for some time, now.