News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

replacement trucks

Started by viking-son, January 26, 2017, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viking-son

I recently purchased a Spectrum tender item no. 89553 with the plan to convert it to a MOW tender.  This means replacing the forward truck (with the drawbar)with one that has an attached coupler so that it has couplers on both ends.  I didn't get any help from the parts person I spoke with.  MTL trucks don't fit the bolsters on this car.  Any ideas?

Piyer

Idea #1: Remove drawbar and add a body mounted coupler to that end (or both ends)

Idea #2: With some plastic surgery to the truck(s) or the bolster(s) you can adapt a replacement truck to fit the tender.

Idea #3: Permanently or semi-permanently couple the tender to another car in your MOW train by using the drawbar and fitting the other car with a mounting pin.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

James in FL

QuoteIdea #2: With some plastic surgery to the truck(s) or the bolster(s) you can adapt a replacement truck to fit the tender.

IIRC, to fit MTL trucks to Bachmann cars requires opening up (reaming) the Bolster hole on the truck to
9/64ths.

viking-son

Thank you both. I was hoping to do it the easy way and find an exact replacement truck with an attached coupler from Bachmann, haven't heard yet. I have reamed a plain MT truck, waiting for one with a coupler to arrive.  Then there's the vertical issue, got to find some shims in my collection to fit the bolster to get the wheels away from the car bottom.  Hey, nothing else to do today on my to-do list, haven't checked hers yet.

ebtnut

A couple of washers between the truck and body bolsters will adjust the height.