News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams/AMT F-unit

Started by tomplatten, January 30, 2017, 03:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplatten

My Santa Fe F unit has developed an interesting problem. After running for a few minutes, the horn sounds spontaneously and will not disengage! It shuts off if I reverse the unit and then comes back on when it goes forward. If I shut the unit down and let it sit for awhile, the horn shuts off, then comes back on in a few minutes! WTF is going on. I am tempted to just disconnect the horn, unless that would screw something else up!

trainyardjp

JP of Acton MA, USA writes -

Does your loco have a mechanical horn relay unit (as in postwar trains) or does your loco have an electronic horn unit?
Sounds like it might be a polarity problem., so changing the polarity might be a solution.

Alternately, you can sen your loco to the WBB service dep't. They might be able to diagnose the issue and fix the problem with your loco.

Hope this helps.
-JP
-JP

tomplatten

trainyardjp

Ok.
Try changing the polarity, either at the horn circuit board, the track, or the controller. See if any of those, will remedy the horn problem.
Also check for any wires that might be loose, pinched, or not connected, as that will cause intermittent operation, or no operation at all.

-JP
-JP