News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Traction Tire Replacement

Started by cmsluss, January 31, 2017, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all...

My Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation threw a traction tire.  I purchased the replacement tires... and I am having some installation issues.

The traction tire for this locomotive is on the third drive wheel.  A screw holds the drive rod assembly in place on this wheel.   When I attempt to remove the screw... it doesn't budge.  I don't want apply too much torque because I don't want to damage the fragile components on the locomotive.  I was surprised to find this screw so tightly inserted.   What is the remedy?

Many thanks for your expertise in advance!

gatrhumpy

You have to break the torque on the screw to get it loose in order to install the new traction tire.

Maletrain

It seem like the OP's original question is whether the screw will "break loose" before something else breaks.  So, maybe others could share their experiences?  Has anybody twisted the head off the screw or done other damage before the screw came loose?  Is some sort of penetrating lubricant like Liquid Wrench a good or bad idea?  I am probably gong to face the same issue, so I would like to see some good answers, too.

cmsluss

Yes...I am seeking help with removing the screw on the third driver of the Spectrum 2-8-0 N scale Consolidation.  I expected the screw to be "snug"... but this screw doesn't budge.  I don't want to spin the screw head off and I don't want to damage the rod assembly or any of the detailing on the locomotive.  Unfortunately, removing the screw and accessing the driver is the only way to replace the traction tire.

I truly appreciate the help!

Thank you!

kewatin

are you the original owner,and if not you don't know that someone  might have put the screw in with loctite.usually it takes heat to loosen up loctite to remove the screw.i have had the same problem as others and rather than resort to possibly damaging my loco, i resorted to applying BULL FROG SNOT a product available from most train shops or on line dealers. you must also remember if you send in to BACHMANN for repair ,that they would normally replace the loco with another one ,which they have done in the past for me,but in this case the loco has been out of production for some yrs now and they would be unable to supply a new replace one .i have found the best way to apply the snot is to water it down slightly and apply 2 thin coats into the grooves where the tire fits ,letting each coat dry thoroughly.when done correctly ,your locos will have good pulling power. the snot is rather expensive ,but will do many locos.trust this option will help with your problem .and oh yes should you make a mistep and the wheels get out of quartering trying to remove the screws &valve train  will just add to the frustration. i like to use the kiss method . keep it simple silly/
regards&later KEWATIN

spookshow

Are you sure it's actually a screw? Mine has detailing stamped into it that makes it look like a screwhead, but really it's just a push-stud that pries out with minimal effort.

-Mark

cmsluss

Excellent point about the "push pin"!
I'll give that a try!

Thank you!

gatrhumpy