News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

newbie and derailments

Started by tom311, February 02, 2017, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom311

I have Bachmann track pack of Madison central. it has 4 switches on layout. we have derailed in the switches quite a few times for only getting started. altho we do not have the electric to the swithes but does not appear that the switches vibrate open. one derailment was with 4 coal cars going thru switch into the siding and my best guess is in the frog of the switch it let the wheels come out.????? any ideas on my derailments.it does it with just engine on the main loop after a few times around also. thanks for any tips advice.

Flare

I had the same problem with one of my locomotives;  I solved it by getting a new switch.

Something else you can try is using a NMRA gauge for your scale to make sure the rails, wheel flanges, and flangeways in the switch are up to spec.

RAM

Make sure that the air hose is not too low. Run the train as slow as you can and see it you can see just where it is derailing.

Ckrails

When installing a new turnout, I also find that many of my locos derail going into the diverging route (not straight).  I solve this problem by filing/sanding down both sides of the frog (the pointed plastic piece in the center) no more than a millimeter or so and rarely have a problem after that.
CK

tom311

it seems to do doing way better.only derail lately is pushing in reverse thru switch but very slow not derailing.

phillyreading

Have you run your finger over the area where you are having a derailment? The track may have a small piece of metal sticking up. Don't know if you can use a dremel tool to file the track in H.O. scale or not but I use a dremel tool to file down some rough spots in O scale or O gauge tracks. The inside area of the rail is very important as that is where the engine and cars grip the track surface, also the top of the rails is important, the outside area of the rail is not as important.
Also found that sometimes the track pins or clips don't seat 100% and there is a track pin or clip sticking up.

Lee Fritz