News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming Lockout

Started by kcstrains, February 03, 2017, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcstrains

Sid, I did read this thread.  That's how I at least got the address changed.  However, the thread never finished about using the programming mode.  Do I really need a booster?  Phil

WoundedBear

In my opinion, yes, you need the booster. My Prodigy Advanced Squared couldn't do anything with the factory sound decoders either until I added the booster in to my programming track.

The booster has had no effect on any other sound decoder I have......they can all be programmed still. Only the factory Bmann sound decoders ever had issues.

Hunt says the DCS100 needs the booster. I trust his advice.

At some point you have to take a gamble.

Sid

Hunt

Phil,

The factory installed decoder in the Bachmann HO Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 is a decoder built by SoundTraxx using their Tsunami sound technology and Bachmann specifications.
(Do not confused with SoundTraxx aftermarket Tsunami, Tsunami2, Econami or SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value.) 

You did not state which Digitrax throttle you are using, if your DCS100 firmware is current or if you are using any other equipped. Nevertheless, the Digitrax DCS100 no matter which throttle is used cannot reliably program Tsunami decoder using Programming Track (Service Mode).  Most of the time, you can program decoder address and other CVs using Ops Mode programming. Covered in Digitrax Tech Support Depot.

Using Programming Track requires a programming track booster. When using programming track best to use Direct (Pd) method. SoundTraxx recommends using their PTB-100 Programming Track Booster with Digitrax DCS100. Instead of a programming track booster you can use with some other requirements Digitrax or another brand standalone programmer.

Furthermore, there is the SoundTraxx Decoder Addressing Restriction --
When using OPS Mode, a SoundTraxx decoder will not allow you to change the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a short address to another short address or from a long address to another long address.
Workaround is to program short address to a long address. Then program from the long address to a short address and vice versa.

kcstrains

Thanks for all the advice.  For now, I will program in the operating mode and avoid the cost of the booster.  If it continues to be a problem, I'll buy one.  Phil

Hunt

Phil in case you have not found it,

Click Here for  Bachmann HO Modern 4-4-0  supported CVs and other info.  I have not compared the info in this file against the installed decoder.

Notice  - CV 30 value is 4. The CV function outputs F5-F8 and F9-F12 are listed as if CV 30  = 0 so you have to adjust them for CV 30 = 4 Function Swapping feature.

(you add the leading zero required by Digitrax to the above where necessary)

kcstrains