News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Programming Lockout

Started by kcstrains, February 03, 2017, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcstrains

Guys, I think I screwed up.  I ran my Bachmann 4-4-0 on full DC before I was able to wire up my Digitrax DCC.  Once I did wire up my DCC, I could not obtain my locomotives address on my programming track.  I followed all the instructions in the manual including resetting to factory settings (CV 8) and unlocking the codes (CV 15 and 16), but nothing resolved the problem.  I tried "00" and "03" as an address and nothing.  Do you have any suggestions?  Is the decoder fried?  Thanks in advance for your help.  Phil

Ckrails

Just to clarify, you're sure your locomotive has a dual mode decoder, not just one of the DC boards that looks like a decoder?  I have a Spectrum 70-Tonner that has such a board and it threw me for a loop until I learned about what it was.
CK

kcstrains

Thanks for the responses.  It's a Baldwin 4-4-0 with DCC on board (Spectrum).  I had no issues on my previous layout.  Also, when I set CV8 to 008, I did recycle the power and there were no flashes.  Definitely not working on "03."  I definitely may remove the shell and check the connection, however, when the train is on a powered track, it definitely has sound like a locomotive at rest.

kcstrains

Richly,

Yes, it has sound, so I'm assuming the decoder is plugged in.  Phil

WoundedBear

Have a read through this thread for some Digitrax/Soundtraxx solutions. Sometimes a resistor is required, other times, like my layout, a booster is required. Do a forum search for Digitrax sountraxx tsunami programming and see what you find.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31781.0.html

Sid

kcstrains

Wounded Bear.  Thanks for the thread.  It enabled me to at least get back to "03" to run the locomotive.  That's progress.  However, I still can't program any of the CVs.  I tried resetting several times and inputting a new address, but to no avail.  I have another locomotive (an Intermountain F7) that is doing the same thing.  The common denominator is that they were both run on a DC-powered track.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the problem.  My other locomotives that didn't run on the DC-powered track are ok.  Phil

kcstrains

Another update.  If I program on the main line (no other locomotives on the track) in the operating mode, I can reset and I can assign an address.  However, when I go back to the programing track and try to display the address, it gives me either 0000 or 6282.  Remember, I don't have an issue with other locomotives where their programming addresses are fine.  This may have to do for now.  At least I can run the trains and assign them addresses.  Weird!!  Thanks for trying to help.  Phil

Len

Back when I was running my repair shop, it got to the point a soldered a 1k resistor to a piece of flex track mounted on a board specifically for using a Digitrax system to program Tsunami decoders.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Phil,
Running the Bachmann and the Intermountain factory equipped with SoundTraxx OEM sound decoder locomotives using DC  before DCC I do not think has anything to do with the problem you are having.

I may know what the problem is. But first I need to know what you have.

1) What is the Item number on the Bachmann 4-4-0 locomotive box label?
2) Are you using a Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 or Digitraz Zephyr Xtra DCS51 -- or what?

Nathan

Phil,

Does anyone near you have a different brand of DCC system you could try?  If someone has and NCE Power Cab that would be the one to try first.

Nathan

Hunt

Quote from: Nathan on February 03, 2017, 09:15:40 PM
Phil,

Does anyone near you have a different brand of DCC system you could try?  If someone has and NCE Power Cab that would be the one to try first.

Nathan
An aside - Nathan using another DCC system does not help identify what he needs to do to use the Digitrax system he has.

Len

If you're using a Digitrax Zephyr (DCS50 or 51) to program a Tsunami decoder this info from the Digitrax site may be useful:
http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB33/programming-soundtraxx-tsunami-decoders-with-digit/

I would suggest using a seperate piece of track connected to the A & B terminals for this operation.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Phil,
If you are using Digitrax Zephyr,  then using Digitrax suggested Blast Mode Programming, which Len brings up, is only part of the solution.

An aside regarding the use of 1000 Ohm resistor

1000 Ohm, ΒΌ Watt resistor across the programming track is required for CV read and programming  a Bachmann non-sound (Lenz based) decoder when using a Digitrax Zephyr(DCS50 or DCS51). The resistor is of no aid with programming any of the SoundTraxx OEM decoders made to date for Bachmann.

kcstrains

Thanks for all the replies and offers of help.  Hunt, the item number for my Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 is 80126.  I use the Digitrax DCS 100.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Hunt on February 28, 2016, 04:16:46 PM
Quote from: Logger Mike on February 28, 2016, 03:56:03 PM

....does this failure to [write] the addresses have to do with the Tsunami Decoder? . . .

Yes --  the Digitrax DCS 100 requires a Programming Track Booster.

This is from the thread I said to look around in.

Sid