Replace Sound Value Decoder - 52705 - WARR 4-4-0

Started by RBDNHM, February 03, 2017, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBDNHM

Do Tsunami2 or Econami 21 pin PNEM decoders directly plug in to replace Bachmann's sound value decoders in the tender?  Thanks.

RBDNHM

That is what I was afraid of. I installed a Tsunami2 Steam TSU-1100 in another locomotive of mine, but was hoping for something simpler to do this time. I will open it again and consider options.  Any input would be appreciated on alternative decoders, era 1865-1880.

Hunt

Why are you wanting to replace the factory installed Sound Value Decoder?

RBDNHM

Not a big fan of the three available whistles and would like to adjust the dimming levels. 

RBDNHM

Will open tender, take another look, and upload pictures this following week, probably next Sunday.  I know the tender is different from 4-4-0 Modern 80102 I have, which had an 8 pin NMRA socket on main board and Bachmann plug in decoder (no sound).  I think the 52705 has NEM 21 pin boards, from my quick look a couple of days ago.

Hunt

RBDNHM,

Click Here to open MRH – Model Railroad Hobbyist,  February 2017, free online magazine.

After magazine opens -- Click on ^ at bottom of page and go to page 135 for a recap of what changes George Bogatiuk III -  SoundTraxx Sales and Support Representative made to his Bachmann HO American 4-4-0. (pages 135 and 136)

RBDNHM

Thanks very much.  That is a nicely done locomotive.  I am planning to look at mine again this weekend, still.  Been tied up with other issues.  I actually have three similar sound value Bachmann locomotives to compare; this one, a Jupiter (60), and a 119, all of which I plan, someday, to upgrade the decoder on (they currently sound identical - would be nice to tweak a little to make different).  It will be interesting to see how the tenders differ, since they were bought at different times. Will take photo of each tender.

hminky

The tender has to be modified to fit another sound decoder:

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/1879/nt_440/sound/

Haven't done much lately in trains just playing in the virtual world.

Harold

RBDNHM

Thanks for the link to Shapeways.  Changing stack is on my todo list.  I. Have not been able to upload the picture of the tender; message says upload folder is full and I have no idea how to contact the administrator. Decoder is a flat board, slightly larger than the main board, mounted directly on top of the main board and screwed to it.  Speaker appears to extend through a hole in the bottom board. Will post picture when able. It is unlike the other Bachmann or the links to various 4-4-0'sound conversions and upgrades shown in this thread and elsewhere that I have seen.

ACY

Quote from: RBDNHM on February 11, 2017, 04:59:30 PM
I. Have not been able to upload the picture of the tender; message says upload folder is full and I have no idea how to contact the administrator.
You must upload the photo to an image hosting site.
I have used photobucket and flickr in the past, there are others that work just as well, it is just really personal preference. You cannot directly attach or upload any photos on this forum. I believe there are very detailed steps on how to upload a photo in the FAQ section of the forum. Please read those steps if you need further assistance.

RBDNHM

Got it, I think.  Thanks.  Attached is picture.

hminky

Requires a hard wire like this:

The sound board has to be replaced.

Took awhile to find my pictures.

Harold

RBDNHM

Great.  Thank you.  Wish my fingers were smaller ;) that wire is tough to handle.

hminky

Quote from: RBDNHM on February 12, 2017, 11:57:13 AM
Great.  Thank you.  Wish my fingers were smaller ;) that wire is tough to handle.
I have almost NFL Quarterback size hands, 9 inches from outstretched thumb to pinky .

Harold