Bachmann Rheneas coming Early March

Started by TrainshockeylifE, February 05, 2017, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelob6660

I got an email from Walthers today that he's being shipped out.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Captain Crutch

Can't wait to see him! I'm sure he's a lovely model!
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Anthony P2

So this one is actually for either the Bach-man or InsideTrack...
I just received my Rheneas in the mail from Trainworld and upon opening the box, I noticed the whistle was missing, the running board by the cab was warped a little which then made the cab not sit right on the loco. Should I return it to Bachmann or should I return it to Trainworld? I never encounter new models with issues so I'm unsure what is the best way to return it. Also, if I send it back to you, should I supply a filling in warranty card?

Chaz

Send it back to Bachmann and include the warranty card and/or the receipt as proof of purchase explaining which parts are missing.  They should be able to have a replacement for you.

Mine will be coming in next week from Trainworld too so if mine has the same issue I will let everyone on here know. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Anthony P2

Thanks for your help Chaz! I've had pretty good luck with new stuff. In the 15 years I've been in the hobby, there's only been probably 3 times I had to get a replacement of a new product.

Chaz

The Bachmann Rheneas has finally arrived and you are hearing this review literally live as I am at my model railroad club reviewing this model as it's running to the public as we speak.  I figured it would be best to take pictures of him while he's out and about and share from there.  So as usual here are my thoughts on this extraordinary model.

2016 was such a hit and miss year for Bachmann.  We had some incredible new slate wagons, troublesome truck #5 was a nice surprise in terms of its design, and and we witnessed some decent quality in the DCC/sound large scale equipment.  Yet this was also the same year we not only got some of the worst choices for rolling stock in HO and large scale, but we also had to sit through Rosie who not only didn't deserve to be added in the range, but left a lot to be desired as a model.  Probably one of the lowest moves I've seen Bachmann make in a really long time, if at all. 

Rheneas on the other hand is literally the exact opposite of Rosie as he was not only the top demand for narrow gauge but it also shows Bachmann's real time and quality at its absolute best just like the Skarloey model before it.  The narrow gauge range has always impressed me, with the exception of the Peco recolors, and it's great to see that same quality shown once again in its absolute best.  It took a while for this model to come out, much longer than it did for Skarloey but was it worth the wait?  The honest answer to this one is, with this much quality and detail, absolutely.

In terms of looks, Bachmann hit the livery spot-on.  One thing that previous merchandise lines have done with Rheneas before his return in CGI was they had the tendency to give Rheneas a pink livery which always looked really odd to me.  Even Ertl and the early wooden toys got this wrong too, and even as a kid I thought they looked off.  Fortunately it hasn't been an issue recently and I'm so glad that it also wasn't an issue here with Bachmann as their Rheneas has a nice orange livery.  Although it could be closer to vermilion it doesn't bug me at all and doesn't detract from he model at all. 

The details on Rheneas are impressive too, most notably, the exact same river detail as it's basis Dolgoch.  Now as some of you may know/heard, Bachmann Trains did indeed have some representatives go to the Talyllyn railway to get measurements of their locomotives (except Sir Haydn who's still in overhaul :(), and their rolling stock.  They knew that selling these models in those proportions would attract OO9 modelers which is why these have been selling out regularly.  It was a smart move for Bachmann to do this and I'm hoping they will do the same for Rusty and other future products as well.  Of course that's always a discussion for another time.

The biggest complaint I have heard about the Rheneas model, is it's funnel. I agree that the funnel does look slightly too thin, even if that trait comes from the CG render, (which I'm sure our buddies at Mattel suggested), but really I don't consider it to be a big deal since it still captures Rheneas' character really well.  Although I still rank Skarloey slightly higher for that reason alone (because I genuinely see no flaw with Skarloey), it doesn't detract from the model at all and still a worthy addition.  If the funnel issue bothers you I'm sure there are creative alternatives out there for a funnel closer to his basis.

At the same time Rheneas exceeds in one area above Skarloey which is cab detail.  It isn't much but part of the cab is shaped and is also painted black, compared to Skarloey who had basically no detail in the open cab.  Both models are great at the end of the day, and cab detail is always something fans can get creative with themselves.

Performance wise, like Skarloey, Rheneas is an incredible runner.  Once I got him running at my show he was a hit.  He's a smooth runner and was able to pull all the slate wagons with no trouble.  Absolutely no complaints with this or the hauling power. 

Overall, it amazes me to see Bachmann go so far in both quality and effort in the narrow gauge range.  Skarloey and the slate wagons were already impressive, but Rheneas seems to show that Bachmann can still produce quality products despite Mattel having Thomas And Friends enter such a dark state in terms of both the show and toy quality.  If there is anything positive about Rosie coming out before Rheneas, it's the fact that we as fans can be assured Bachmann's Thomas range is still in good hands even if Mattel makes decisions for them that don't always necessarily work.  If there is any model you should save up for or have as Christmas present, or even keep for display in your own personal collection... this is the one.  Bachmann have really outdone themselves with this model and it only makes me even more excited and hopeful for Rusty and what is in store for the 2018 announcements.

Thank you Bachmann for this extraordinary model. 

TerencetheTractor525

Thank you for sharing the Rheneas model with a thorough review Chaz! He looks phenomenal. The shaped cab really surprised me, especially when considering how small the model is. The only thing that I'm on the fence about is the orange livery as it is on the lighter side. This also makes me wonder if Rheneas and Rusty will be different shades of orange since Rusty is technically a lighter shade of orange than Rheneas. Nevertheless, just the fact that they made Rheneas orange makes me very happy. To sum up, this is a model that I will certainly not miss out on. Well done Bachmann!
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Falcon

Looks like Rheneas was well worth the wait! It might take a while until I can get him since I plan on getting Skarloey first, but Chaz's review shows that Bachmann has done our Gallant Old Engine a lot of justice.  :)

I look forward to seeing Rusty as well. He'll likely look just as glorious as Rheneas does.

Chaz

It's shocking that Rusty is literally the only thing left in the narrow gauge range to anticipate before the 2018 announcements!  I'm sure they will have Rusty's livery contrast more in comparison to Rheneas but I would be all for Peter Sam next year for not only the reasons I explained earlier but also for a better color contrast in the range. 

Thanks Falcon and Terence for the positive responses to the review, he's a great model and both of you will be very happy with him!

TrainFan97

We should definitely see Peter Sam get announced for 2018.

Hopefully, Sir Haydn will be out of overhaul by 2019, so Bachmann can eventually make Sir Handel, having the proportions of his basis.

As for Duncan, the Bachmann representatives can do what Nitrogen wasn't able to do: Get the measurements for Douglas. Nitrogen couldn't do it, because Douglas was in overhaul at the time, which is why Duncan's CGI render is so bad. Being based on his model; not his basis. Definitely the odd one out. If Bachmann makes Duncan based on his render, his sales will be significantly minimal. Hopefully, they'll do what Nitrogen couldn't, if Mattel allows it of course.

Hopefully, Rusty will resemble Midlander as much as possible. His model was larger in scale than his basis to accommodate an eye mechanism and motor. When he returned in CGI, he kept that size for continuity. At least his render is good.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

Seems weird that Bachmann can't just send the Talyllyn Railway an email for blueprints/measurements of Sir Haydn if they really want to make Sir Handel. I'm sure they would comply/come to a deal if it meant getting another RTR model of one of their engines. To add, many photo references exist, and there's the Corris Railway locomotives as well they could get measurements from.

Captain Crutch

Quote from: Sparks on December 04, 2017, 12:48:44 AM
Seems weird that Bachmann can't just send the Talyllyn Railway an email for blueprints/measurements of Sir Haydn if they really want to make Sir Handel. I'm sure they would comply/come to a deal if it meant getting another RTR model of one of their engines. To add, many photo references exist, and there's the Corris Railway locomotives as well they could get measurements from.
I know from experience that modeling things based solely on reference pictures is extremely difficult. When ever I model something I either try to get great side and front picture or blueprints of some sort. Sir Handle wouldn't be as accurate if they just used reference pictures. So they would either need to take the measurements themselves or get blueprints from who will most likely be the Corris Railway.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Falcon

Anytime, Chaz. I'd love to get Rheneas someday. ;)

I actually was thinking about mentioning Sir Handel eariler. He's my most wanted Narrow Gauge engine for the lineup, but he might take a while to make because of the overhaul... Nonetheless, I do look forward to the possibility of Peter Sam while I'm waiting.

Chaz

Even if Bachmann were to do Peter Sam and Duncan next Bachmann would be crazy not to do Sir Handel.  Personally I think it would come down to how they would get the measurements after the overhaul.  It makes a lot more sense for someone from Talyllyn to email accurate measurements after the overhaul rather than to send someone from Bachmann out there for measurements on literally just one locomotive.

Either that or they could just use the CG render, which admittedly I wouldn't put it past Mattel to suggest.  I would be all for it since I think Sir Handel's render is honestly one of the better designs.

douglas

My Rheneas has arrived at last as well, though I haven't opened it up for further examination or a test run. He does look splendid from the outside though, like some other members, I wish that the body paint wasn't quite so... orange, where it's supposed to be more of a vermilion. So far that's my only complaint, I'll see how it runs later today.