News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to install wheelsets

Started by Dav1d, February 07, 2017, 12:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav1d

Total newbie here. I know nothing about model trains. I'm writing because I'm planning on using HO wheelsets, the Bachmann 36" Flat Black variety, in an experimental proof-of-concept VTOL aircraft scale model to keep the rotors in place.
My question is: How are these wheelsets installed in their carriers, trucks is the proper term I believe? I purchased some of the Bachmann 36" Flat Black wheelsets and cannot pull the wheels off of the axle. I'm trying to figure out how to design them into the airframe so that the rotors can be easily but securely installed.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvbRThajlgqAhh0SlDIAVWRC68UW

Flare

The last time I needed to remove wheels from their trucks, I was able to push the axle against one side, allowing the other side to disengage.

Some force is necessary, but since I assume you don't need to use the trucks again you shouldn't need to worry about bending or breaking them.

Another option would be to use Kadee wheels, they're sold in bulk without trucks.  ;)

https://kadee.com/~kadeecom/htmbord/page532.htm

WoundedBear

And again I think Flare may have failed to comprehend the question.

The axles are mounted between the truck frames in two opposing conical holes. This is why the points on the axle ends. The axle sort of floats between the sideframes of the truck on the two points.

You might not be able to remove the wheel from the axle on both ends. Usually the axle is insulated on one end/wheel and you may be able to twist that wheel off. Sometimes the other wheel is integral with the axle. I'm not sure if you could buy wheels without axles from anyone. You could look at some wheels from the stationary roller stands. I'm sure a supplier out there has them somewhere.

Good luck with the project.

Sid

JNXT 7707

Why are you attempting to pull the wheel off the axle?
Your attached diagram shows the wheelset fully assembled.

Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.