Unreconized Loco Brand & Make "Can anyone help me"

Started by HoModeler, February 09, 2017, 07:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoModeler

I got this Loco from a Neighbor / Friend 2 doors up from me that was cleaning up the basement @ his Mothers House & gave it to me.
It has no Box or brand markings on it. I just know it's a DC Loco My questions are is it worth keeping or refurbishing it & how much would this Loco be worth Cleaned up & resold..

Any help would be great Thanks.....

jonathan

HO Modeler,

This reminds me of a Lionel HO model.  From time-to-time, Lionel dabbled with establishing an HO line of models, and like their O scale, they occasionally marketed make-believe wheel arrangements like the 2-4-2.  The motor also reminds me of Lionel.

I can't see any pick up brushes, which is what you would see in an old Varney locomotive, on the left anyway. Lionel mechanisms were pretty hardy, too. So, if it still runs, that would be more evidence for Lionel.

It doesn't appear to have any Bowser or Mantua identifiers that I recognize, and they would probably have very obvious open frame motors. I see hex screws, instead of slotted screws, which points to an American model vice Japanese.

They only thing that would give it value would be pre-WWII manufacture.  Unfortunately can't put a date on it based on the photos.  Is the boiler metal or plastic?  A metal boiler might help indicate a date and builder.

Of course, I could be way off base.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

I'm pretty much with Jonathon on it being old Lionel from the early '60's.  My other thought is that it could be an import, like from Fleishmann.

jonathan

Just looked up Lionel HO 2-4-2 on the interwebs.

While an exact match of your loco didn't appear, a number of Lionel 2-4-2 photos came up with the same look:

1) same shaped motor in the cab;

2) same hex screw connecting the rod to the cylinder guide;

3) same drive wheels with closed spokes; and

4) same tender.

Also, Lionel was all about casting the bell as part of the boiler, like yours.  They also modeled Pennsy type boilers, as yours appears to be.

I think ebtnut hit the early 60's era just right.

Looked of Aristocraft, Marx, Fleishmann, Bowser, American Flyer, and Mantua.  Nothing came close to the appearance of your loco.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Len

Yup. Lionel using an Athearn belt drive system.
http://hoseeker.org/gallery/index.php?album=hotrains3%2Flionelhoengines&image=Lionel-2-4-2-Belt-Drive.jpg

In 1963 the entire set it came in sold for $19.95: http://www.hoseeker.org/lionelhoinformation/lionelhocatalog1963pg1.jpg

Doubtful it's worth even that much these days, as it was a poor runner.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

You guys nailed it!

That set was offered 1961-63.  By 1966 Lionel was out of HO.

Regards,

Jonathan

HoModeler

WOW thanks guys I knew posting the pictures on hear someone would know...
Now the Million Dollar Question is it worth keeping & Rehabbing the loco. I am still not sure what to do with it

jonathan

I hate to say this about any model locomotive, but there's not much you can do with it.  It's not a runner.  No prototype that I know of. I wouldn't want to tinker with it.  Doesn't have any useful parts that I can see.  If you had the complete set and the box it came with...

Regards,

Jonathan

dutchbuilder

I would clean it up and keep it as a curiosity.

Ton

HoModeler

Quote from: jonathan on February 09, 2017, 01:54:51 PM
I hate to say this about any model locomotive, but there's not much you can do with it.  It's not a runner.  No prototype that I know of. I wouldn't want to tinker with it.  Doesn't have any useful parts that I can see.  If you had the complete set and the box it came with...

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan & everyone else that helped figure out it was an Older Lionel from the 60's pretty neat though... I have decided to clean the Loco up & display it on one of my Shelf's I have by my Layout as a conversation piece.

JNXT 7707

Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

RAM

2-4-2   The type is sometimes named Columbia after a Baldwin 2-4-2 locomotive was showcased at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition held at Chicago, Illinois.  Not many were made is the U.S.  There is one still active in the the state of Mo.

Terry Toenges

Here is the Shelby Brown. We've ridden the tourist train a few times in Jackson MO.

Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

Yes that is it.  Better looking than the toy locomotive, but it does look odd.  It looks like something is missing, like it should have been a 2-6-2.