convert HO climax from DCC to DC

Started by greeneri, February 13, 2017, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greeneri

my new HO 2 truck climax with DCC runs ok on DC but requires at least 12 volts to move. This high voltage will drive my other locos crazy; even my 2-8-0 with DCC . Is there any way to remove the DCC decoder without voiding the warranty?  I am using MRC 1370 power supply only goes to 15 volts. The diagram does not show any socket for the decoder; all 8 connections  to the chip appears to be soldered in. 
The chip has a 21 pin connection for a sound card; can any of these pins be used to disable the decoder chip?
Thanks

Hunt

richiy... you are just throwing out some google search finds that are not relevant and misleading.

The 21-pin protocol in all Bachmann locomotives factory equipped with that connector for  sound module is unique to the SoundTraxx interface for the SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM motor decoder. It does not follow the NMRA Standard 21-pin protocol. 

greeneri,

To have DC only  -  remove the decoder, hard wire the locomotive including adding resistor in and capacitor across the light circuit.  Yes, it voids the warranty and you have no sound.

WoundedBear

Thank you Hunt. I was getting tired of always being the "heavy".....lol.

Richiy.....good lesson here. More quality and less quantity with your posts. If you don't know something, don't guess. It doesn't improve the knowledge base and only confuses people further.

Not every thread needs your input.

Sid

James in FL

He took his ball and went home.

richiy

jbrock27

For about what now, about the 3rd or is it 4th time??  LOL  Probably ran back over to the MRR Forum where no one pays any attention to him. 

At least he got to fill us in the on the Amherst Train Show for this year and where to eat before he left...
Keep Calm and Carry On