News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Controller 46604A

Started by ltbeer, January 27, 2017, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ltbeer

the controller only runs at full speed when turned on. It no longer changes the speed. Is there any repair that can be done?

richiy

Possibly the controller shaft is broken in the full speed position.
I see four holes in the bottom of the case where you will find the fasteners. Since the newer packs are low voltage, you should be able to open it up and check it out.

richiy

ltbeer

I checked the controller knob like you suggested and looked at it with the back opened but there is no way to tell if the shaft is broken. However, the knob is probably not working correctly.  I think my grandson was changing the direction switch without turning it off first. Anyway, I am bidding on a used controller on E Bay. thanks for your response, Rich.

richiy

Probably that is best. They are cheap enough.
I suspect some kind of potentiometer, but I have never seen the inside of this particular controller.
I do remember seeing a power pack a few years ago and I think the potentiometer was a piece of copper PC board that was etched and a wiper on a shaft.

richiy

ltbeer

Yes. It's the same controller.

ltbeer

Bought a Bachmann used controller model 46005a on EBay for $17.50 and it works perfectly. Problem solved. Thanks for your advice JBrock and Richly.