News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC controller

Started by cwex, February 21, 2017, 08:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwex

Any recommendations for a DCC controller or purchase a Bachman set that comes with one.

Len

You'll get as many recommendations on that question as their are DCC systems.

I've used a number of systems over the years, and finally settled on the NCE PowerCab. Easy to expand, easy to upgrade, and it fits my needs.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Flare

I have Bachmann's E-Z Command controller (Which comes with their sets) and a NCE Powercab.

Bachmann's is much simpler to use, but the Powercab can do much much more.

If the only thing you plan to do is run 2 or 3 trains then the E-Z command should work for you, but if you want to reprogram your locomotives I would get the NCE.

(Bachmann's controller can change a locomotive's short address, change its normal direction of travel, and set up consists, but that's about it.  The Powercab can change nearly any CV and even perform a factory reset of a decoder if it gets messed up)

cwex

kewatin

i have been using a NCE  powercab for 7 yrs now and it doesn;t get much simpler to use than that , you can expand it at your own pace as your layout grows. example add a booster and your power cab becomes a pro cab for more operators,up to 6 also i use a NCE  switchkat to control my kato turnouts.there is also a yahoo group for help with any nce problem you may have to help you resolve same.most of my locos are bachmann steam along with some BL diesels some have sound and one can easily go in and change the cv.s.to change .as mentioned by others your choice will come down to what you are comfortable with. try to go to a hobby shop or a train club or train show as most mfg's have set ups their for demonstrations etc.do your own research and narrow it down to what you think will be needed,remembering that you may want to expand your layout and not have to put more money out when a good basic dcc system will carry you thru.
trust this info  helps in you making a decision.
regards&later KEWATIN

cwex

Deland

I'm using a NCE unit also. My advice is to read the manuals on the ones that have the features(ability to change CV's or whatever ones you need) and compare them. If you belong to a club (or have one nearby) you may want to see what they use since they are close to help with problems( but they will probably only know on the system they use). NCE was easiest for me to understand, the price was right and it had features that Bachmann didn't.

cwex

ACY

I have the following DCC systems:
1. Bachmann EZ-Command (I have several of them)
2. Bachmann Dynamis
3. MRC Prodigy Express^2
4. MRC Prodigy Advance^2
5. NCE Powercab Starter Set
6. Digitrax Zephyr

I have not had an opportunity to try the NCE system yet unfortunately.
The EZ-Command would be a good purchase if you only want basic capabilities (no advanced programming) and can pick one up fairly cheaply. I would not pay more than about $50-$60 for an EZ-Command system. The Dynamis is fine if you can get the system for under $150 and has more programming capabilities but no read back without the pro box. I would actually look into the Dynamis Ultima from Bachmann UK if you want to go with Bachmann but want maximum functionality including support for PC interface. Kepp in mind the Dynamis uses infrared technology for the wireless controller. The MRC Prodigy Express is basically mostly equivalent to the Dynamis in capability but can be used with the Advance system if you upgrade down the line. Bachmann's EZ-Command controller is not compatible with a Dynamis system unfortunately. A good price for the Express would be under $160 or so. The Advance^2 is a nice system but the price tag of it is a bit of a down side; not a bad choice if money is not much of an object though. The NCE basic system actually seems to be a bit better than the MRC basic system (the Express) but the NCE system usually runs about $20-30 more. The Digitrax Zephyr is an ok system but is not portable unfortunately which is the main detriment and I think it has trouble programming Lenz decoders (makes Bachmann decoders) if I remember correctly.

The way I would approach this is first determine what capabilities and functionality I need/want and then determine what my budget is and try and get the system with the most features that I want that is within my budgeted amount. Alternatively I might just buy whatever system I could get at the best relative price for the features even if it isn't exactly what I want.

cwex

Thank you for your thorough reply

Joe323

Just cur ACY Why so many different controllers?

ACY

Quote from: Joe323 on March 04, 2017, 05:39:09 PM
Just cur ACY Why so many different controllers?
I got several of them from a local hobby shop that went out of business.

Warflight

Sorry I'm late to this party... I've been thinking of getting the Bachmann EZ Command DCC Controller, due to it's simplicity... I may upgrade in a few years, but honestly, the layout I'm planning would really only have two or three engines at any given time, plus, I have issues with my smart phone, so a complicated controller seems like it would be a bit of a frusteration to me.

I have been pricing them (from the train shop, Amazon, Bachmann, and eBay) and have found that it would be cheaper for me to just get the Echo Valley set... it comes with the EZ Command DCC Controller, plus more N/S EZ Track (w00t... I can always use more!) with the added bonus of a nice 2-6-0 engine with Southern markings (I've been collecting the Southern Crescent steam engines in green lately, and though it's black, it fits my layout either way! Plus, it looks a lot like the engine in Back to the Future, which, I do plan on making a Delorean with rail wheels to be pushed on my Old West set every so often... the engine used in the movie, was the Sierra #3... the same engine used in a LOT of movies and TV shows, as well as Petticoat Junction)

Looking at eBay, I keep seeing the Echo Valley sets coming up new in box for between $130, and $199... considering the controller by itself tends to pop up at about $150, or $250 if it is the controller and engine alone. Plus... getting that set will be my first ever DCC/Sound engine. (I have a DCC engine right now, as well as a DCC ready one, that I MIGHT put sound in someday)

So it seems to make sense to me to go that route, at least for my needs, but, like folks here have said, everyone's needs are different, and it just depends on what you have planned, and whether you're willing to upgrade in a few years or not.

dutchbuilder

When I changed over from Athern analog to 0n30 digital in this century I was recommended and bought a Lenz unit, the LZH100 with LH90 controller.
Lenz is for what I have heard the inventor and developer of DCC for the NMRA.
I don't know if it is sold in the USA but i recommend it for its sturdy German technology and housings.
No complaints at all.

Ton

Warflight

I believe Lenz is the company Bachmann uses for a lot of their DCC Decoders... at least, that's what I keep seeing on postings where someone asks what model decoder is in <x> train...