News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Athearn Engine

Started by Woody Elmore, December 01, 2007, 08:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

I saw the photo of the new Athearn UP FEF-3 in the latest Model Railroader. All I can say is that I wish I was back in HO again.

Pacific Northern

The news is not good on this model. A throwback to the 2-8-2 perhaps?

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2007/112907.htm

I will only consider the Athearn diesels, stay away from the steam, go Spectrum, go BLI, go Proto, just go elsewhere.
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

Well, it was never on my "want list" so no problem here.

But, before we throw the baby out with the bath water, lets wait to see if this is one bad loco at Tonys or a real problem.

If we judged Bachmann locos by the few that have to be sent back, they would have a very bad reputation, but they don't.

No offense to Woody, but I'm sick of large west coast steam. I've seen several life times worth of GS4's, Big Boys, FEF's, Challengers, etc., made in HO - and I still don't own models of any of them.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

What makes the Tony's warning most interesting is that it is mentioned that a number of engines were tested. All with the same result. You did read the Tony's warning?
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

Manufacturing defects often run in batches, a bad group of parts, a worker making the same mistake, a worker with a bad jig or tool. so even two or three or four all at the same shop, most likely all shipped together from the same case (this is likely since the loco is just out) does not a product condemnation make.

But as I said, it matters not to me. Until they make something new I am interested in, the only Athearn locos I buy are Genesis F units and RS3's.

Its 1953 on the east coast at my Railroad, and Big Boys can't make the curves on our mountain division, and our Allegheny's are more powerfull anyway. And, if you have an Allegheny, why would you even bother with a Challenger or and FEF?

Sheldon

rogertra

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/2007/112907.htm

I haven't purchased an Athearn steam engine since the 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 broken gear issue.

I'll bet the farm that a certain well known magazine with the initials "MR" will give it a glowing review.

Woody Elmore

I am not a fan of west coast engines and remember well the problems with Athearn's previous steamers. My comment refers to the appearance - the fidelity to detail that didn't exist when I modelled in H0 two decades ago.

Hopefully Athearn has debugged the engine. I think a NYC Niagra would be a great choice for a big engine.

I haver never relied on a MR or RMC review to buy anything. I always rely on word of mouth. However if you are interested in a model's foot pounds of torque and draw bar pull while pulling a simulated train up a 1.6948 percent grade then the MR review is for you.

SteamGene

Well, said, Sheldon.  Alleghenys over the Alleghanys! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Trying to remember the reaction to the Proto Y3 2-8-8-2 when it was announced and the ads first appeared. It sure was a far cry from the Riverossi Y6 modle that is still available.

At least I do not have one of the first releases of that model sitting in storage like a few others I know. Allthough I do have some others (such as the Athearn 2-8-2)
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

drhone,

Not sure I get your meaning? I have two early release Proto 2-8-8-2's, they run great and pull reasonably well - and look great double headed at the front of a coal drag. Why would anyone have them in storage?

As for Athearn Mikes, I have two that are running fine on the orginal gears. I did weight them and rewire them, which was a big job, and I know many who had the gear problem, but mine run and pull quite well now.

Admittedly, I would not buy any more Athearn Mikes and go to all that work on them, but their here now and run fine.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

I did have a Proto Y3 from the first release and it would indeed need to be double headed to pull a moderate load up any type of incline. I did double head it with other steam engines and of course all was well then. However choose not to double head it  and lucky for me the Hobby Shop I bought it at gave me a credit for it. 

As for the Athearn 2-8-2's you were luckier than me, two of them both with split gears. Within a week both engines had failed. Did recently obtain gear replacements so there is a chance that they may come out of storage after all.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

New gears seem to solve the 2-8-2/4-6-2 gear problems.  They still don't pull much and I really don't want to go through the obvious bother of taking off the boiler to add weight to it.  My first would not stay on the track and I sent it back to Athearn who agreed it had all kinds of problems with the frame, which they replaced and it tracks well now.  It just doesn't pull.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

It seems to be that my mistake was purchasing the "initial" first releases not long  after their debut.

Instead I should have done my homework and waited. I could have checked thevarious  forums for others comments and suggestions.

The Proto engines for example have certainly upgraded their engines, optional traction tires, improved electrical pick ups. The new engines are certainly improvements over the first offerings.  Unfortunately I seem prone to being impatient and not waiting and researching the items.  Finding out later in a number of cases I have a "documented"  problem engine.
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

drhone,

Well, I would like to get some of those traction tire drivers for my Proto 2-8-8-2's, but, my view on grades is that they should be prototypical. I keep mainline grades on my layout below 2%. On those grades, and with very free rolling cars, two Proto 2-8-8-2's do just fine.

I have done much research into free rolling trucks and improved the pulling capacity of all my locos by nearly double, just by replacing trucks and wheelsets.

The prototype found grades to be the major challenge for steam locos as well. It usually took four EM-1's (2-8-8-4) to get 80-100 loaded hoppers over the Allegany sumitt on the B&O. That's only 20-25 cars a piece. But, as I have pointed out before, they would have never considered leaving the yard with one loco and 25 cars.

I can pull 40+ Athearn (and similar) twin hoppers up 1.8% grades with two Proto 2-8-8-2's (or my two Bachmann 2-6-6-2's). And, the Bachmann and the Proto run fine together for a mixed look (one of each).

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Gene and Sheldon;
I have two Athearn mikes and two Athearn pacifics, and t odate, have had no problems, other than tracking problems wit hthe mike, which I got around by playing with the front end.  The pacifics can pull a respectable train on a level track, as well as can the mikes.  As these were fairly light engines in real life, I wouldn't suppose that either one would pull up a significant grade.  Most of my grades I had-and will have again-are no more than about 1/4"-1', if that. 

As with you guys, my Bachmann, BLI and Proto engines negotiate my "trackage" very well.  I have a Mantua 2-6-6-2 that is a honey on rails, and she can pull.  The two Bachmann 2-6-6-2s will do likewise.  I do plan to have a very long grade;  probably running along the back of the wall area to get up to the second level.  On this will I run the articulateds, probably with whole cuts of cement hoppers, boxes, etc; in the thirty + category.

As with Sheldon, I would like to see Bachmann come out with some Moguls, or ten-wheelers of a more contemporary type than last.  Those New England scenes will look rather incongruous running big engines theough them, but what the hey...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!