Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC and sound chip for train

Started by Gonzo27, February 15, 2017, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo27

Hi,
I am just starting out in model trains, in the HO scale model

As my first purchase, I recently purchased the Drango and Silverton HO "DCC ready" set.  I would like to put the DCC chip in, along with the sound capability.

What chip etc would you recommend?

Thanks for your help

Gonzo27

Hunt

Requires DCC decoder not just a DCC chip.  (Chip is a misnomer use in some parts when meaning decoder.)

Click Here for suggestion.
   PN 826104 TSU-1000  is discontinued see TSU-2200 and TSU-200
   Use speaker PN 810153 instead of 810054

Read about SoundTraxx decoders and select the one fitting your wants. Shop for best pricing.
PN 884002 TSU-2200 Click Here for Tsunami2 decoder info
PN 881002 ECO-200  Click Here for Econami decoder info

Gonzo27

Mr Hunt,
Thank you for this advice - gratefully received. :D

Hunt

Misprint (in bold) in the installation notes,

3.  Unplug and discard the DCC mobile decoder to expose the NMRA 8-pin plug. (Photo 4)

Should be

3.  Unplug and discard the DCC mobile decoder to expose the NMRA 8-pin socket. (Photo 4)

Topcat

Quote from: Hunt on February 16, 2017, 04:56:11 PM
Misprint (in bold) in the installation notes,

3.  Unplug and discard the DCC mobile decoder to expose the NMRA 8-pin plug. (Photo 4)

Should be

3.  Unplug and discard the DCC mobile decoder to expose the NMRA 8-pin socket. (Photo 4)

Topcat

I have some Bachmann HO" EMD SD40-2 DCC on board. is it possible to add sound to these Locomotives. If it is is it a easy job ? hard job ?

Thanks so much

ACY

Quote from: Topcat on February 24, 2017, 01:45:37 PM
I have some Bachmann HO" EMD SD40-2 DCC on board. is it possible to add sound to these Locomotives. If it is is it a easy job ? hard job
Yes you can install sound, but the difficulty is relative to your level of experience. If you didn't even know that sound could be installed then it might be a bit too difficult of a project to get your feet wet. Space will most likely be very tight and may require quite a bit of modification to accommodate everything and facilitate for the speaker and baffle. If I had to give a rough estimate, the cost of adding sound to this engine will probably be in excess of $100.