News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diesel 10

Started by Danielv18, February 23, 2017, 03:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danielv18

Hi, are there any plans to make an HO Diesel 10? Thanks!

TrainFan97

As cool as a Bachmann Diesel 10 sounds, it's REALLY hard to expect him. How would Bachmann do Pinchy? Same goes for Harvey's crane. IF they ever made Diesel 10 or Harvey, they should just omit their eye mechanisms, and just give them a moveable claw or crane.

If Diesel 10 ever got made, models would sell out quickly.

After all, Diesel 10 is the only character introduced in Thomas and the Magic Railroad to be rendered in CGI. It would be cool to see him made eventually, so that way, we'd finally have a diesel who isn't a shunter. Daisy would also make a great choice.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I hope you're not suggesting linking the crane to the motor, that would just lead to it cartoonishly spinning in circles as the engine moved.

I would think the best way would be to simply have the crane/Pinchy be manually-operated. Just mount it with a simple pivot joint (held either by a pin/screw or by a multi-piece shell). Pinchy would probably end up not being fully-featured for complexity reasons, but still.

The real trick with Diesel 10 would be getting an eye mechanism to play nice with his drive mechanism, since he doesn't have a fixed wheelbase (ditto for Boco, Derek, etc).

The same issue would also affect Daisy, whom I would rate as the trickiest to figure out an ideal way to do. Beyond the usual issues present with self-propeled railcar models and the aformentioned eye mechanism issue, they'd also have to balance trying to hide the mechanisms with the fact that her interior is mainly supposed to be coach space.
Cautiously making my return

TrainFan97

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

DinoNTrains

And I think it would be a great gimmick to make Pinchy poseable, so it wouldn't have to always rest on top of Diesel 10.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

douglas

Daniel, it's not gonna happen. I imagine the reason being the complexity of the claw–the engines also have to fit it in tunnels and sheds, so that would be problematic as well.

TrainFan97

Pinchy might make him too tall to fit in sheds and tunnels. Even being a British class, his hydraulic claw would be problematic for the British loading gauge, even before Mattel's obsession with internationalism.

Metal

Diesel 10's claw gimmick would breach the NMRA standards, in short think of it as the loading gauge for model rail. The same would also apply for Harvey.

TrainFan97

If any larger diesel has a chance, it's Daisy.

I don't know about Daisy having an eye mechanism, since she doesn't have a fixed wheelbase. Maybe they should just omit the eye mechanism if she ever gets made. Whatever the case is, a diesel who isn't a shunter is what the range has really needed for a long time. They shouldn't be as hard as tender engines. Daisy is a long box on wheels, and she's only one piece, while tender engines are more complicated designs, and are two pieces.

sean1994rail

Quote from: TrainFan97 on February 27, 2017, 12:37:13 AM
If any larger diesel has a chance, it's Daisy.

I don't know about Daisy having an eye mechanism, since she doesn't have a fixed wheelbase. Maybe they should just omit the eye mechanism if she ever gets made. Whatever the case is, a diesel who isn't a shunter is what the range has really needed for a long time. They shouldn't be as hard as tender engines. Daisy is a long box on wheels, and she's only one piece, while tender engines are more complicated designs, and are two pieces.
Unless Bachmann gives Daisy a similar diesel chassis to some of their large diesel locomotives with a gear box for each bogie, but make the front one, or the one with the eye moving mechanism, screwed on with the motorised front bogie screwed at the bottom.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

The NMRA doesn't factor into the Thomas range.

Aside from that, Pinchy can be made to lay fairly flat, minimizing the height increase. Diesel 10's popularity would also lend strength to his chances, since that makes him more marketable.

I would say that Boco or perhaps Derek would have more chance than Daisy.. Daisy has appeared more recently, but there is that issue of windows.
Cautiously making my return

Chaz

Diesel 10 is one of those characters who belongs in the toy department and nothing more.  His claw and larger body might make him more marketable which is what makes him popular for toys like Trackmaster or Wooden railway.  For a range like Bachmann though, a large gimmicky character would be too expensive and might make it hard for him to fit in certain accessories like bridges, tunnels, sheds, etc.  It's highly unlikely, especially when the last 5 years of announcements for HO engines, including this year's, have either been tank engines or recolors of the Diesel tooling.

Also BoCo and Derek are far less likely than Daisy, the windows have nothing to do with why Daisy wouldn't be considered.  Daisy has actually had starring roles and has been used regularly in CGI. 

But really, at the end of the day, none of these characters that have been mentioned in this thread are likely to happen anytime soon anyways. :P
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

For economic reasons, I guess only getting tank engines and diesel shunters is correct.