News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A little help please?

Started by Childebrandt, February 26, 2017, 10:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Childebrandt

For Christmas, we got a EZ track system. A 2ft oval. After a few sections of straight track, it circled the coffee table. Yesterday, I bought "My First Layout". Put it together and found that there is no instructions on how to hook up the turn outs. Figured out that I'll have to change transformers, there is no place to hook up the wiring. I have green wires coming from the switches, 4 switch boxes. Please advise.

kmcsjr

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO__6_Turnouts_Instructions.pdf

That link should get you started. Any manufacturers transformer, with an AC accessory connnection, should work. They are HO instructions, but the wiring is the same.

Childebrandt

Thanks. After a trip to my local hobby shop, I came home with a transformer/power pack that did have the terminals to run the switches. Everything is working now. Now, the fun starts. Landscaping. Buildings. Roads. Etc. How hard is it to covert to DCC. Should I do that before I landscape?

kmcsjr

Glad it's working out. Adding DCC is simple. If you have a small layout, you may not need to add anything. BUT, there are those that run power to every piece of track for DCC. Those who connect, every few feet and those that run DCC with the 1 or 2 connections they used for D.C. The thing is, you need however many connections that give you good signal. If you are handy with a soldering iron, adding power, as needed, isn't that hard. OTOH, dropping a few lines now, may be easier. Google DCC and you will find a lot of good reading material, to get started. Questions of layout size, how many locos you want to run at once and your interest in wiring will all play into your decisions.