News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Soundvalue Decoder with JMRI throttle

Started by tglenney, February 28, 2017, 11:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tglenney

Does anyone know the actual decoder model that is installed in the Rio Grandeā„¢ #5336 (Large Flying Grande) - SD45 - DCC Sound Value?  JMRI reads it as several different options.  There are two options in SoundTraxx; DSD diesel and DSX diesel.  I chose the latter and using the JMRI throttle can activate functions but can not control speed forwards or backwards.  Command station works fine for throttle.  If anyone has suggestions please let me know.  Thank you.

Hunt

Read CV 7  using your DCC system not JMRI
CV 7 = 82 Sound Value
CV 7 = 9   DSD diesel
CV 7 = 18 DSX Diesel

An aside
I don't have N scale SD45 to check but looks as if there may be misprints in the SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann SD45 SoundTraxx documentation.

Don't expect to see default value  CV 29 = 22, CV 25 = 0, while CVs 2,5,6 =0

tglenney

Thank you for the tip.  I will take a look.

Hunt

tglenney,
After resetting the decoder 8 to CV 8 and turning power off and back on

What value is in CV 7, CV 29 and CV 25?

What is used to read the CVs? 

tglenney

Here is what I am reading using decoder pro.

CV 29 = 38, CV 7 = 82 no CV 25, 2,5,6

I reset and selected the Tsunami Diesel Bachmann Sound Value as the decoder and still get no throttle control with JMRI.

Hunt

CV 29 = 38 means (among other things) the Extended Address (4 digit) mode is enabled, which means to me the decoder CVs were not reset to factor default value.

What address are you using to control the locomotive? What value is read for CV 17 and CV 18?

What DCC system is your computer connect? 

Hunt

Correction to the speech recognition software

CV 29 = 38 means (among other things) the Extended Address (4 digit) mode is enabled, which means to me the decoder CVs were not reset to factor factory default value.

An aside ----
Misnomer to use Tsunami with Sound Value. The SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value decoder is in a different product family of decoders than Tsunami.

Hunt

Yardmaster,

REF: http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/bachmann_n_sd45_sv.pdf

I do not have convenient access to an N scale SD45 equipped with Sound Value for testing the accuracy of its CV documentation.  But with a factory default of CV 29 = 22 would expect a default of CV 25 = 16 not CV 25 = 0.

After successful decoder reset --  Using decoder CV read what is the SD45 Sound Value decoder default value for CV 29 and CV 25?

tglenney

After a busy week at work I have finally been able to get back to this.

After decoder factory reset
CV 29 = 54

I rebuilt the JMRI roster entry and selected the Tsunami Bachman Sound Value and have all controls back.

Thanks for the help!

Hunt

tglenney,
Thanks for letting us know you have the control you expect.

However, it is not likely CV = 54 is the factory default value as the locomotive would respond only to an extended address (4 digit) out of the box.

Follow-up:

Yardmaster,  what has Bachmann found is the factory default value of CV 29 and CV 25 by reading the decoder?

Current online CV documentation is CV 29 = 22, CV 25 = 0

If CV 29 = 22 would expect CV 25 = 16

If CV 25 = 0 would expect CV 29 = 6