News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC question.

Started by Childebrandt, February 28, 2017, 07:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Childebrandt

Just getting started on our layout. Had to upgrade the transformer and power pack so we could operate the switches. Now thinking about DCC. The Bachman ez DCC 44932 set up looks interesting. But, will it also work the turnouts? Or, do I have to use the other power supply and transformer?.

Flare

I'm not aware of any DCC controllers that have accessory terminals for things like turnouts.

You can use the analog (DC) power pack's accessory terminals for the turnouts and let the DCC system control the rails.

On a side note, while the E-Z Command system is economical and easy to learn, it's not a full-featured system:  It can't fine-tune locomotives or reset malfunctioning decoders to factory settings.

I use a NCE Power Cab on my DCC layout and would advise it over the E-Z Command.

Hunt

The setup and procedure you now use with the turnouts you have can be used with any  DCC system used  to control decoder equipped locomotives. What is required to control turnouts from the DCC system will depend on DCC system. It will require replacing the turnouts you now have if using the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center, Item  44932.

Understand and compare DCC systems and what you get for the money before selecting a DCC system. The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center is very simple to setup and use but to get that simplicity it does not have many of the capabilities required to take full advantage of what can be done with DCC or todays decoder equipped locomotives.