News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound & smoke

Started by wjbobb, March 03, 2017, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjbobb

North woods logger 90122....smoke does not work with smoke generator on....
9 volt battery for sound only last about a week, NEW battery
My locomotive has no master switch in the cab compartment & no switch on the underside of the tender
This train is one month old

Thank you.    Wj Bobb

Bucksco

Your info has been forwarded to the service department. You can contact them directly at (215) 533-1600

Cary Poole

New to the list, but just purchased my first g-gauge Bachman Tweetsie set.  The engine runs great right out of the box, but I can't get the sound to work.  I placed a new 9-volt battery and moved the switch up and down, but to no affect.  Any suggestions since I know this kit is several years old, but had not been opened.  Thanks!

RkyGriz

Hi Cary. You didn't mention if the tender wire is present and if you connected it to the socket on the back of the locomotive. Also,some tenders have a volume control knob on the bottom of the tender frame. Make sure that it's turned on.If you have done all of that,  and there is still no sound , then you may have a defective switch on the locomotive or a broken wire inside the tender itself. Taking the tender apart is easy as there are only 4 Phillips head screws to remove to pull the tender body up and off of the frame. Inspect all the wiring as best as you can. If everything looks ok and there is still no sound, then it's probably a bad switch on the locomotive or a bad PCB(sound) board inside the tender.  I'd call the service department and ask them if you can't see anything physically wrong with it.
Hope this was helpful!
Andrew
Also check the battery and if you are installing it correctly!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Cary,

The instructions for the sound can be found on page 12 of the manual:  Click on this link:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18832.0.html

Then click on the Big Hauler instructions link and go to page 12.

The red switch at the back of the cab must be down and the round switch under the tender must be on as well and be sure the volume is on full to start.  Be sure the sound wire from the tender is fully inserted in the proper plug on the loco.   The sound circuit is polarity critical and the battery must be properly inserted.  It is also wise to make sure your 9Volt battery is good.  Use a meter to check if it is.   Before tearing things apart, be sure you have followed the instructions.

In troubleshooting the sound on the Big Hauler for others I have often found the battery very low and almost dead and the only problem. The leads to the loco from the tender are actually a chuff sensor, and if all else is OK this could be the problem.   Your locomotive must be moving to get sound.   There is no sound if the loco is standing still.   If double checking everything still results in no  sound let us know and we can give further help.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!