News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old LifeLike Track Cleaner

Started by lirrman, March 03, 2017, 03:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

I know this is a Bachmann site but I'm asking about an old LifeLike track cleaning caboose, item #08584.  I've looked all over, including HO Seeker, to find out what the little, turn-able, square thing is sticking out of the tank top.  What happens when it's turned? Did some kind of "key" originally came with this?  Just curious. 

Hunt

The usual suspect would be that "turn-able, square thing" controls the flow of the liquid content in the tank to the pad.

lirrman

Makes sense - but how much turning do you do.  I'll have to practice.  Thanks.

Hunt

Suggest putting no liquid in tank. Apply directly to pad thus you directly control the amount.

jbrock27

I had one of these when I was 10; it stunk as a track cleaner then, as much as it stinks now.  Better to spend your track cleaning budget and time elsewhere and clean the track either with; a) soft style "bright" boy, b) WD-40 on a lint free rag, c) Wahl's Clipper Oil, d) track cleaning car with hard board pad on the bottom.
Keep Calm and Carry On

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I know this will sound like a shameless plug (it is, after all, our site...), but our new EZ Track Cleaner really is the best I've
ever used.  I apply it with one of those Starbuck's coffee cup collars (I don't know what they're called) and it gives great results!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Depending on the rail material, makeup of the contaminants on the rail, environment around the track, and a few other things; there are more cons than pros to using abrasive cleaner, WD-40, Wahl's Clipper Oil, and the like. There is a time, place, and limit for using those.   70% isopropyl alcohol or if rail slippery from oil and grease use Goo Gone on clean lint free cloth wrapped on track cleaning block or the like and elbow grease is all that is needed to effectively keep track rails clean. It is a must to remove their residue.  Use powered wheel spin method to clean locomotive wheel tread.

An aside ---
Bach-man, keep close watch as Starbucks has changed and reduced the amount of raw material used to make their "hot- cup sleeve."

lirrman

Thank you Bach Man.  I'll give it a try.  Since I've never been to a Starbucks I'll have to track one down.  Just plain old coffee for me.  Thanks.                                                    

Flare

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 03, 2017, 09:00:39 PM
our new EZ Track Cleaner really is the best I've ever used.

Are you talking about the E-Z Lube cleaning fluid or a new product that applies it to the rails?

jbrock27

Quote from: Hunt on March 03, 2017, 10:14:00 PM
there are more cons than pros to using abrasive cleaner, WD-40, Wahl's Clipper Oil

You do understand there are differences between various "track cleaning blocks" that are out there, do you not?  And that there is a wide range of how "abrasive" they are?  Never heard of WD-40 or Wahl's being poor choices or having "cons" as track cleaners. ::)  WD-40 is a terrific wheel cleaner, for wheels made from a variety of metals, you just hinted at that method yourself.  When is the time & place and what are the limits, if you don't mind?  Seems to me method of application and removal have more to do with any cons than the actual products themselves.

An aside---

Quote from: Hunt on March 03, 2017, 10:14:00 PM
70% isopropyl alcohol or if rail slippery from oil and grease use Goo Gone on clean lint free cloth wrapped on track cleaning block or the like and elbow grease is all that is needed to effectively keep track rails clean.

---if this is your disposition, why not then state so from the get go?

A further aside---

Starbucks is overpriced and is all about image and marketing.... ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

The Bach man is referring to this product:
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_483&products_id=6488

And Starbucks coffee is superior. If you go for a plain cup of coffee it doesn't cost much more than any other coffee shop - just my opinion....

Joe323

Tim Hortons coffee has the same thing and is cheaper imho.

But I just use a paper towel.

the Bach-man

I don't even DRINK coffee- but the finger savers work great for cleaning track.
the Bach-man

James in FL

Anybody have a link to the MSDS ...of the cleaner, ...not the coffee?
I haven't found one.
Would be interesting to see the ingredients.

the Bach-man