News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Convert from DC to DCC

Started by RedlegJim, March 05, 2017, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedlegJim

I have a small layout using EZ track. It has 2 crossovers and 2 turnouts. It is a DC only layout. I think I would like to convert to DCC. My question is
will my track and switches still work after I change over?

Flare

You will need to use your DC controller to power your crossovers and turnouts, but they will continue to work.

bapguy

So you don't get confused: DC will power the switch motors not the track!    Joe

Len

You might consider using a DPDT toggle switch to go back and forth between DC and DCC until you get all of your locos converted to DCC. Leave your switches connected to the DC power packs accessory terminals.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RedlegJim

Thanks for the help. As I understand it, I will keep my switches connected to the DC powerpak but use a new DCC powerpak to operate the locomotives. Is that basically correct?

Flare

Quote from: RedlegJim on March 06, 2017, 03:05:21 PM
Thanks for the help. As I understand it, I will keep my switches connected to the DC powerpak but use a new DCC powerpak to operate the locomotives. Is that basically correct?

Yes.

Also, if your budget allows for it, Bachmann makes E-Z Track turnouts and crossovers with DCC decoders built-in.  You can operate them using your DCC controller without the need for the DC one.

jbrock27

Before jumping to DCC turnouts and crossovers, I would snoop around and see what people's experiences have been with them compared to operating turnouts and crossovers with traditional DC or AC controlled switch machines.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 07, 2017, 06:25:34 AM
Before jumping to DCC turnouts and crossovers, I would snoop around and see what people's experiences have been with them compared to operating turnouts and crossovers with traditional DC or AC controlled switch machines.

Another option is adding 'Stationary Decoders', such as these: http://www.digitrax.com/products/stationary-decoders/ to operate the switches you already have. Much simpler than tearing up track to add DCC equiped switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.