News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Front wheels 2-8-2 pop off

Started by plint, March 01, 2017, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

Got a Bachmann MEC 2-8-2 and the front wheels like to pop off from time to time going over my Peco turnouts.  The wheels appear very light, the slightest bounce knocking them off the rails.  Is this common for this loco?
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

rogertra

Quote from: plint on March 01, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Got a Bachmann MEC 2-8-2 and the front wheels like to pop off from time to time going over my Peco turnouts.  The wheels appear very light, the slightest bounce knocking them off the rails.  Is this common for this loco?

Try removing the spring over the pilot truck.

Roger T.

dutchbuilder

Quote from: plint on March 01, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Got a Bachmann MEC 2-8-2 and the front wheels like to pop off from time to time going over my Peco turnouts.  The wheels appear very light, the slightest bounce knocking them off the rails.  Is this common for this loco?

My 0n30 4-4-0 classic American has the same problem.
I weighted it down with a small strip of lead.
Sometimes the front wheel will pick up dirt and that will also compromise the performance of the wheel .
especially with small diameter wheels.

Ton

plint

Didn't see a spring, just a screw holding it on which I'll probably remove if it drives me coocoo.

K487

Plint:

I've had the same problem - going along fine then suddenly the pony truck (in front of the drive wheels) comes off the track.  It turned out that the screw holding the pony truck on was put through a VERY-WELL-Machined hole -  i.e. it was tight.  I easily fixed it by using a metal drill bit and manually reamed out the ends of the two holes (top and bottom.)  That usually fixed it, but if it was still a problem I also bored out the screw hole with a drill bit one size bigger than the hole. 

As info, I've had a couple of steam locos illuminate the problem by the front of the engine just lifting the pony truck a little (from a little rise in the track) and when the pony truck came back down its wheels were derailed (especially on a curve.)  Easy fix, see above.

Hope that helps.

K487

plint

I did check and I have 1 screw which I removed and put back in but not as tight.  I ran it and all was well so far!
Tnx

plint

Took off the front pilot.  Kept bouncing off on some turnouts (Peco).   No problems now :D