News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OLIVER HAS ARRIVED!

Started by InsideTrack, March 09, 2017, 04:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

How strong would you say Oliver is? How many wagons can he pull with Toad?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TTTEfan1992

Is the Bachmann Oliver an equivalent to the Bachmann Mavis size wise?

TrainFan97

Bachmann Oliver and Mavis are pretty much the same size.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it's that Oliver's undersized. If anything, Duck could be oversized. Considering how long he is. He's bigger than Diesel.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TTTEfan1992

I thought so. Thank you for answering my question. I've always wondered that.

No, actually I don't think so. Bachmann made Duck how he was in the TV series. Bachmann makes all their characters, rolling stock, buildings, etc. accurate to how they are in the TV series from their most current form as possible whenever they made them including their size which they do very precisely. Duck is just kind of a big tank engine. I'm sure Duck was bigger than Diesel anyway. I know Duck was that much bigger than Thomas. You can tell that by a brief moment when Thomas rolls by Duck in the episodes "The Runaway", and "The Missing Christmas Tree".

I don't have Bachmann Oliver yet, but from what I've seen he isn't too bad size wise really. He might be just a little small, but again not too bad. He's just a touch smaller than the Hornby Oliver. I think Bachmann tried to make Oliver in his scaling from the CGI series, but they couldn't, because he would be considered too small to be an HO locomotive. So they just made him as small as possible to still be considered an HO locomotive while making all the proportions right. With that being said, I agree with everybody that Bachmann Oliver's scaling is a mix between the model series scaling, and the CGI series scaling. I'm glad he isn't entirely in his CGI series scaling, but that's just me.

TrainFan97

I've been enjoying Bachmann Oliver. Thank you Bachmann for making Oliver. It may have took two years just to get him out there, but it was all worth it.

Like I said before, I may get Rosie if she comes out this summer. There's still no video of her in action yet. I'll still think about Rosie, and if I decide I don't want her, I'll definitely get Paxton, the first CGI character in the HO range, but he's a likeable one.

Since Rosie's image was revealed a few months ago, there's no doubt her release timing will be this summer. Oliver's image was revealed in the fall, and he got released this spring.

Oliver is selling so well, he may show up on the bestsellers list eventually.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

In general, Duck is just a huge engine. Even after his CGI "rebuild," he's still quite large.

Even in the model series, he's quite large. Just compare the size of the humans to both engines and you should see what I mean.

In my opinion, Duck is Bachmann's...ok-est model. He's a good runner, has a good hauling capacity, and for the most part is accurate to his TVS counterpart in terms of detail. The main problem is that his length and height don't scale well to HO/OO, and the inconsistency regarding  his size leads to him being a pretty hard model to nail. Not a knock on Bachmann at all, though.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

donaldthescottishtwin

Duck has always been oversized, even his classic series model. Class 5700's are not that large.

Titanic5972

He's not a Class 57xx. He is an imaginary talking train with a face. How realistic are they really ever going to be?

TrainFan97

I never said I hated Bachmann Duck. I enjoy him too.

Thank you for pointing out that he actually is that big.

donaldthescottishtwin

Quote from: Titanic5972 on April 08, 2017, 03:55:39 PM
He's not a Class 57xx. He is an imaginary talking train with a face. How realistic are they really ever going to be?

Realistic enough that they are not horribly oversized.

Captain Crutch

Ok fine, his basis is a 57xx. Happy now. And they should be slightly realistic considering the original stories were mostly based on actual events or events that could happen, just with the trains talking.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

TrainFan97

Now that Oliver's out of the way, Bachmann's next focus is getting Rosie out there, and then Paxton.

DinoNTrains

Since the tooling already exists with three other models, I wouldn't be surprised if Paxton will be released later this year. However, I will patiently wait if that is not the case.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

sean1994rail

Quote from: HLC Railroad on April 08, 2017, 05:54:38 PM
Ok fine, his basis is a 57xx. Happy now. And they should be slightly realistic considering the original stories were mostly based on actual events or events that could happen, just with the trains talking.
if you are all so worried about bachmann duck being oversized to some and no to others, why not do a size comparison between the bachmann duck and a n OO gauge 57XX class tank engine, similar to someone else did with Oliver.

donaldthescottishtwin

Quote from: sean1994rail on April 09, 2017, 04:40:17 PM
Quote from: HLC Railroad on April 08, 2017, 05:54:38 PM
if you are all so worried about bachmann duck being oversized to some and no to others, why not do a size comparison between the bachmann duck and a n OO gauge 57XX class tank engine, similar to someone else did with Oliver.

00 Gauge is bigger than H0.