News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP9 Locos

Started by DWinans4739, March 12, 2017, 08:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWinans4739

I recently purchased a pair of Bachmann GP9 locos from a reputable  dealer.  The locos run very slow, even at full throttle.  I am not a DCC knowledgeabel guy, but I had someone who is see if there was a speed limitation programmed into the chip.  We could not determine what codes are used for what function.  No such documentation was with the loco, like I have with other brands of N scale DCC locos.

Does anyone else have any issues with this loco?  Anyone know where to find the documentation on the chip in these locos a so we can see if we can enhance performance by changing a setting or two?

Dave

brokemoto

Does B-mann sell a GP-9 in N scale?......or did you buy GP-7s?

They are supposed to come with an instruction sheet.  Mine did.  I did not read the DCC part because I do not use it.  They run nicely on DC until you fry the decoder, that is.  Still, it is not difficult to wire around it once you fry it.

Piyer

Data sheets are here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dcc.php

I'm a novice myself when it comes to DCC, but I do have one question for you and your friend.... When you say that they are running "very slow," I presume you mean that both are running at about the same speed, so that leaves me to ask if their slowness seems abnormally slow to you, or if they might not just be running at scale speed?

GP7s and GP9s were typically geared for a maximum speed of 65mph. Which scales down to around 36 feet per minute for the model at scale-maximum-speed. (sorry if I'm confusing you) Thanks to DCC, there is a movement by manufactures in the direction of taming the race horse in models. To those of us who started by piloting our Lionel trains around curves at a million miles per second, "scale speed" can feel insanely slow. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.