News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax

Started by Frank6926, March 13, 2017, 09:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank6926

I have a 2 truck HO scale Bachmann Climax.  It runs backwards to all my other steam engines.  Not to be confused with reverse.  It runs backwards.  Is there an easy fix for this.  BTW this engine has been a lot of trouble since I first bought it.
Thanks, Frank

jonathan

I know of a couple of things than make a locomotive run backwards.

If you've had this locomotive apart at some time in the past:  it is possible to install a motor upside-down on many Bachmann locomotives.  This would reverse the polarity and make everything run backwards. Most Bachmann motors are stamped with a "V" to indicate "this side up", if you get my meaning.

Second. If you've had a DCC decoder installed, it is possible to wire a decoder backwards.  The locomotive will run backwards AND the headlight will not light.

The older Climaxes were known to have gear problems.  No surprise that this may not be your best runner.

That's as much as I know.  Hope it was helpful.

Regards,

Jonathan  

Flare

If your Climax is a DCC model you can change the "Normal direction of travel" CV and forward will become forward again.

Frank6926

I was hopping there was a magic screw I could take out to release the frame from the body to expose the motor. I could then just reverse the polarity wires on the motor.

jonathan

Frank your solution could be easier than that:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H828X-IS001.PDF

Scroll down to the dummy plug diagram.  The dummy plug is under the coal load.  Should be easy to remove.

Since these locos came DCC Ready, it is possible the plugs are installed in the incorrect sequence.  The loco would run backwards, if the plugs are installed in the wrong corners.

Just sayin'... I've performed that little oops in the past.  :)

If you are running DCC:  same solution; unplug the decoder, crank it around 180 degrees and plug back in.

Regards,

Jonathan