News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 ton split axles??

Started by kamerad47, March 20, 2017, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamerad47

I have a 2nd generation 44 ton with  dcc  on board , the plastic on all the axles are split & they no longer make new wheels for it , Is  my only option to send it in to bachmann ?????? Nobody has this problem with there 44 ton ???????

indian_hills_r_r

yes I have this engine with same problem. my 44 ton was made 2005. and of course they don't make axles for it anymore. I did find out that nwsl or nswl makes a axles set for it but it cost 46.00+ on ebay. haven't decided if I want to pay that to fix this engine or work on another way to fix it.

jbrock27

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on March 27, 2017, 02:31:03 AM
I did find out that nwsl or nswl makes a axles set for it but it cost 46.00+ on ebay.

Are you aware you can deal directly with NWSL?
Keep Calm and Carry On

indian_hills_r_r

yes, I do. went to nwsl website and the axles cost even more there. don't know if engine is worth the money. might scrap this one and buy a newer one.

jbrock27

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on March 27, 2017, 01:07:01 PM
went to nwsl website and the axles cost even more there.

That surprises me.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kamerad47

They are some pricey wheels ??? more then I paid for the loco!!! to bad there is no other alternative ???

indian_hills_r_r

this seems to be a class problem with the  44 tonners. it would be nice if Bachmann would make so affordable ( less than $8.00 a pair replacement wheels for these engines. I imagine there are a lot of these 44 tonners out these.

indian_hills_r_r

as much as I like this 44 tonner I am thinking of putting it on ebay and get rid of it. I only bought for 45.00 but probably sell it for parts for 30.00 plus shipping. only one axle has the split. unless Bachmann comes up with a wheel replacement.

kamerad47

Honstly how many sets of do you think NWSL sells for that price ?????

indian_hills_r_r

kamerad47

my understanding is and am waiting nswl to reply, is that there is 4 wheelsets in a package for 39.95 plus shipping. that is to replace all 4 axles. there 3 types listed for the 44 tonner so just have to find out which one will work.

genetk44

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on March 30, 2017, 07:07:34 PM
kamerad47

my understanding is and am waiting nswl to reply, is that there is 4 wheelsets in a package for 39.95 plus shipping. that is to replace all 4 axles. there 3 types listed for the 44 tonner so just have to find out which one will work.

I went to the NWSL website..only found 1 type for the 44 tonner...could you provide a direct link to the others??

indian_hills_r_r

I am not that good with computers and setting up links. I just went to their website, found the parts section then went the geared wheels where I found 4 items listed. 3 of which from how I read it was axles for the 44 tonner. best I can do. sorry

DAVE2744

I have two, new from dealer. 44 tonners with DCC.  They both have the open bottom gear covers, ( 5 gears ).  Of the 8 axles involved, 6 were split on arrival.  Gear portion of axle was fine in all cases.  Only clue was wheel gage would widen out, causing derailments after awhile.  Sent letter to Bachmann advising of problem.  No response, 3 mos. 

Solution.  As gears were fine, and locos ran great, I figured if I could keep axles in place, and in gage, no problem.
                I used a Loctite product, in small blue tube from Ace hardware.  The product does not cure rock hard, and
                allows it to be pulled apart with some slight force.  It has held the axles in place perfectly.

These locos ran exceptionally smooth right from the factory. I have since upgraded them with Tsunami2 DCC & sound.
Freakin" awsome!  I installed TSU1100 w/dual Catipillar engines, Current Keeper, and RailMaster sugar cube speaker.  Motor control is phenominal (?), sound accuracy and fidelity will blow you away.  These are now first class locos!

Don't give up on them, especially if they are newer production run.

indian_hills_r_r

dave2744, .
I was thinking if I could find a needle type locking clamp maybe a hemostat clamp would hold the split together after I filled the gap with super glue or maybe wellwood contact cement which I used for years and even now when I find that I need a glue when no other glue will hold.

if my wife was still working I could get a pair from the doctor she worked for.

I am going to try it but when I have nothing else to do

kamerad47

This is what I was thinking,  was to try to glue the split axles ???? I glad someone had success with it !!! I willing to try that !!! Dave it would be nice to see a pic of the inside of the chassie with the deocder in it ?? I wanted to put a soundtraxx decoder in it only if you could put a keep alive in it too !!!!